cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uber is not accepting my public cellphone number

tasmariah
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I need a support. I have registered my number for Uber. It has been verified by Uber 4 digits code. But when I request for a ride it says the cellphone number is not valid. Uber customer service says my cellphone number is a voip number and is not supported by their system. 
can someone help me to resolve this issue. 

thanks in advance. 

10 REPLIES 10

@Nezgar The information is all here http://www.cnac.ca/co_codes/co_code_status.htm

All Uber has to do is take the xxx-xxx-**** and filter them to not answer the call or a message and then drop call. I can do this on my VoIP,ms account very easily.  But any VoIP number that was ported in.....would be missed. ie. my. VoIP.ms number is an x Telus land line number. If this is true then any one, say, on PM that ported “in” a number from a VoIP Account would be treated the same? It sure does not make sense to treat a VoIP number as a invaluable customer.....or does it?

@LurganIeUk wrote:

I have voip for land line as many others do as well as offices and businesses. 

Iam on VoIP with ported number from Telus. So what am I?

How do they know what a VoIP number is .... from here? Or does some one give them a list?

That is a very poor decision, if it is true. I guess Fongo is VoIP too. 

It's not publicly publishable in Canada, but there are databases available to the carriers... I have found that there are ways that exist to identify the actual originating carriers. For example, Twillio identifies outgoing calls from Fongo & voip.ms value routing as coming from Fibernetics, and voip.ms premium as bandwidth.com. My number was ported to PM from Rogers Wireless, but it can correctly identify the originating carrier as Telus. Very interesting. Hope to learn more as time goes on. 🙂

Regardless, a Public Mobile number should be indistinguishable from a Telus Mobility number, unless it's from one of the newer area codes that just aren't recognized properly because they aren't aware of them yet - this was a problem for some banks 2-factor authentication, and Google verification over the last year or so..

tasmariah

Hi MH1983

Thanks a lot. 

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

If that is Uber’s policy then they need to give their heads a shake. 

I have voip for land line as many others do as well as offices and businesses. 

Iam on VoIP with ported number from Telus. So what am I?

How do they know what a VoIP number is .... from here? Or does some one give them a list?

That is a very poor decision, if it is true. I guess Fongo is VoIP too. 

@tasmariah wrote:

Hi,

I need a support. I have registered my number for Uber. It has been verified by Uber 4 digits code. But when I request for a ride it says the cellphone number is not valid. Uber customer service says my cellphone number is a voip number and is not supported by their system. 
can someone help me to resolve this issue. 

thanks in advance. 

Sorry, but there isn't anyone here who can help you with this. This is an Uber issue as stated earlier by others. Even Uber customer service has informed you of this. As the phone number is not being accepted by Uber, only Uber can fix this. Public Mobile can't do anything about that.

If you don't mind changing your phone number, you could try changing to a different phone number/different area code.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

VOIP shouldnt be an issue.  I have another line with Fongo and I am ordering Uber with that without issue

What I suspect is that , it might be a recycle number and Uber still have that number on their record.  

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Also, did you happen to port the number in to PM from a VoIP service? That can definitely confuse other systems, and as mentioned above, it's ultimately an Uber-side problem. Hopefully the above post gives you a workaround to get up and running but I'd still keep at Uber support to get it fixed.

tasmariah

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@tasmariah ,

Sound like an issue on the Uber side of things.

What is your area code?

Need Help? Let's chat.