cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USA travel

Tapper22
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am a new Canadian user and I was wondering when I travel to US, can I use my data from my plan(15 GB) and only purchase a roaming add-on? I’m presuming that I would be charged roaming fees if I didn’t buy the add-on. Please share with me if anyone has alternate suggestions. 
Thanks. 

7 REPLIES 7

@cmsp wrote:

I bought US Roaming last trip and it didn't work. Wondering if I need to buy something else. Small print says need long distance plan too???

The 10 Day US Roaming add-ons are for use whilst you're in US. As long as your regular plan is Active and you have the add-on in US...should be fine. I suggest you manually select T-Mobile as the network of choice that works best with the add-on.

If it didn't work, did you request and get a credit to your account ?

@cmsp   did you buy US roaming data last time?  

All those roaming plan, it can be used by itself, you don't need other long distance plan with it together

to use roaming data, you need to try to connect to T-Mobile or AT&T.  Also, make sure you have Mobile Roaming Data enabled on your device

To use roaming voice, you can only need to connect to T-Mobile 

While roaming would work in most US cities, it might not work everywhere.  Like it won't work in Alaska at all 

JL9
Mayor / Maire

On that note @Tapper22 you would be better served by getting a local sim and/or voip app, will be much more reliable and just as cost effective if not moreso

JL9
Mayor / Maire

No - it didn't work because of the 3G shutdown, it has caused dozens, if not hundreds of PM customers posting about their nightmare experience with their roaming add on as it either was hit and miss or didn't work altogether.

cmsp
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I bought US Roaming last trip and it didn't work. Wondering if I need to buy something else. Small print says need long distance plan too???

Lidzzzz
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Tapper22, keep in mind that if you're on a 3G plan, as of February 22nd, 2022, United States (U.S.) carriers have started turning down certain 3G/HSPA networks. As a result, customers using U.S. roaming add-ons will be impacted by differences in coverage or service quality (including 9-1-1 calls) when roaming in the U.S. Customers may also experience changes to services such as welcome messages, voicemail notifications, usage notifications for voice, notifications when trying to make an international call, interactive voice responses (IVR), as well as the ability to set up voicemail while in the U.S. For more information visit: U.S. Roaming

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Tapper22   You plan data and minutes are for use in Canada only

To use your service in US, you have to buy the US roaming add-ons.  There are different one depends on your need, and they are all 10 days in length

Bundle - US Roaming - Talk Text (10-day) - $15.00 (10 Reward points)
Bundle - US Roaming - Talk Text 250 Data (10-day) - $20.00 (15 Reward points)
Data - US Roaming - 1 GB Data (10-day) - $20.00 (15 Reward points)
Data - US Roaming - 250 MB Data (10-day) - $10.00 (5 Reward points)
Data - US Roaming - 500 MB Data (10-day) - $15.00 (10 Reward points)
Text - US Roaming - Unlimited Text (10-day) - $8.00 (5 Reward points)
Talk - US Roaming - Unlimited Talk (10-day) - $8.00 (5 Reward points)

Roaming is not cheap, if you go there long or need quite some data, you will be better off buy local prepaid roaming data, then use VoIP app like TextNow to make voice calls and text 

Need Help? Let's chat.