cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US upcoming trip

Fredpaul
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

5EEC3EE7-1C24-4D39-A1A4-3356600BC612.pnggood morning! If the abive screenshot is my current phone plan, am i good to just keep using my phone as normal when i go to the US next week? Anything specific i need to do to activate this and to avoid extra charges on my next bill? Thank you 🙂

5 REPLIES 5

@Fredpaul   Try T-Mobile's 2G and see if that works when you're there, its availability depends where you are so if you are moving around it might vary.  T-Mobile was actually planning to shut it down this past April but seemingly changed their minds.  Even without VoLTE your texting and data should still work so you can use a voip app that way as well as wifi.

Fredpaul

My phone isn't on the list actually lol oh well, i'll see how it goes! Worst case ill just use apps that work on Wi-Fi!

@Fredpaul   Check that your phone is on the VoLTE list for PM or is a newer version of one that's on there.  Hopefully your VoLTE option is functioning but I once had a phone on another carrier and it had the VoLTE toggle but was not enabled by the carrier so didn't work.  The list is here

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte 

Fredpaul

Thank you @Phil_Adelphus ! I do see that i have the VoLTE option enabled on my phone, so should be good from that perspective. Thank you for the quick reply 🙂

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Fredpaul   Yes, works in both Canada and the US, no extra charges, nothing specific to do other than enable data roaming.  The only caveat could be the phone you have, if it is not VoLTE enabled by Public Mobile you will have potential difficulties for voice calls because there's no longer any 3G in the USA so non-VoLTE phones have to fall back on T-Mobile's 2G network which is spotty and being phased out. 

Some phones need a bit of settings tweaking to connect, others are just seamless.  If you have any difficulties just ask here and people will help you.  Start off with the phone set to connect at 4G/LTE and not 5G until you get it working, AT&T and T-Mobile are the roaming partners and 5G seems iffy on AT&T with roaming.

Need Help? Let's chat.