cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US roaming

cfjc16
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If I upgrade to US talk text and data roaming, do I have to enable roaming on my phone when I cross the border? Also will my Canadian data carry over for use when I am in the US.

11 REPLIES 11

cfjc16

I may have found a better solution to this problem. I can get a pre-paid sim card for T Mobile or AT&T. It will give me unlimited use for a designated time at 4G speed for less money. I need it for 17 days and it works out to be $49.49 CAD plus tax.  To get 10 days on Public it will cost $40. and only on 3G or 2G.

https://www.gianttree.ca/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=52

@JH_T wrote:

I have iphone 8, which will operate up to 4G; however, I just drove (USA - late September) from NY to NC/SC/GA and service was VERY spotty throughout. I only got reliable voice in larger towns/cities, virtually no service anywhere else. Would NOT advise depending on phone for navs (I use Garmin)

@JH_T   were you connecting to AT&T or T-Mobile?  if you just need data (for navs), you can connect to the 4G (LTE) on either network

but if you need voice, your only choice is T-Mobile as it has both 2G and 4G, you need the 2G for voice and you can use the 4G for data

JH_T

I have iphone 8, which will operate up to 4G; however, I just drove (USA - late September) from NY to NC/SC/GA and service was VERY spotty throughout. I only got reliable voice in larger towns/cities, virtually no service anywhere else. Would NOT advise depending on phone for navs (I use Garmin)

@cfjc16 wrote:

I have 2G, 3G, and 4G on my phone. I have planned on driving to Florida in the spring and using google maps on my phone. I have Android auto on my new car and I want to go to some spring training baseball games. I will want the US addon for that trip.

What's clear is if Public Mobile hasn't implemented VoLTE by the time you go to MLB Spring Training, you won't have any voice service (if T-Mobile has eliminated the 2g network by then).

cfjc16

I have 2G, 3G, and 4G on my phone. I have planned on driving to Florida in the spring and using google maps on my phone. I have Android auto on my new car and I want to go to some spring training baseball games. I will want the US addon for that trip.

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Are you aware this isn’t an upgrade?  This is a US add on for 10 days. Just want to make sure you understand. 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Just be very aware that roaming is very dodgy these days. Particularly talk. Manually connect to T-Mobile and hope that your phone supports the old 2G/GSM that T-Mobile is allowing us to use. But coverage may be less than ideal.

You could just leave that data roaming option on due to there not being any extra charges here.

@cfjc16 wrote:

I have a Huawei P30 pro and there is a setting under mobile data to activate data roaming. I have it turned off and the data still works here. 

The data working in the US while data roaming is turned off in the settings?  If it does, that's bad software programmng by Huawei. Or do you mean that data works in Canada?  Using the service in Canada isn't considered roaming and the data roaming setting would have no effect on y our service while you're using it in Canada.

cfjc16

I have a Huawei P30 pro and there is a setting under mobile data to activate data roaming. I have it turned off and the data still works here. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @cfjc16 yes to enable roaming data on the phone.  I don't think phone has specific setting to enable roaming talk or text, they are basically on by default. 

@cfjc16 wrote:

If I upgrade to US talk text and data roaming, do I have to enable roaming on my phone when I cross the border? Also will my Canadian data carry over for use when I am in the US.

Most phones only have a setting to specifically for enabling data roaming.  The setting may already be turned on.  Data roaming doesn't tneed to be turned on to use vocie or SMS.  Canadian data can't be used while you're in the US.

Need Help? Let's chat.