cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US roaming talk not working!

cleasonhorst
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm currently roaming in New York and have 5 bars of lte service on the t-mobile network. However it always is saying call network failure. I verified I have purchased the 10 day add-on for talk and text. I've restarted my phone and set it to automatic network selection. Still  doesn't work. 😬

7 REPLIES 7

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@cleasonhorst 

If that's the case that means there is not enough signal strength of a 2G network for you to connect. While you're in that setting you can check what your signal strength is by following the directions in my previous post. That is if you're curious about those kind of things.

A work around for voice calls without being able to connect to the 2G network would be to download while on Wi-Fi a VoIP app like TextNow or fongo and choose Canadian phone number. With text now that will allow you to make free phone calls in Canada and the US and to each country and send and receive text messages. Fongo gives you free incoming texts and free incoming and outgoing calls. They will also work on mobile data and will use approximately 0.5mb/1min.

Alexandf
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@cleasonhorst 

open ticket with PM support and ask them to fix it for you

At https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start by typing "Submit a ticket", then click "Contact Us", Then click "Other", then click "Click here to submit a ticket 

have trouble with Chatbot: Private message CS_Agent 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

cleasonhorst
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

As soon as I select GSM(2g) or HSPA+,UMTS(3g) I lose the network connection. I suppose it's the result of decommissioning the 3g network?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@cleasonhorst 

There have been many reports of 2G network service issues in New York City even though the map shows good coverage in that portion of the state.

Screenshot_20220927-100923.png

https://www.gsma.com/coverage/#466

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Meow @cleasonhorst 

You have a great connection to the 4G LTE network which is what signal bar is telling you. If you can switch your phone to 2G only you can then see what your signal strength is and figure out whether it's viable enough to send and receive voice calls. You can also go into your settings and go to About phone>>Sim card status>> Signal strength>>____-dBm.

But I would have to look up what your signal strength has to be on 2G as this is the first time I've ever asked someone to look at their 2G signal strength? If it's the same as 4G LTE and 3G you would want it to be between -50dBm and -95dBm and absolutely no lower than -109dBm.

Edit:

The same values apply but ideally nothing below -100dBm for usuable voice services on the 2G network.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Try to force to 2G if possible. So many people complain about US service so I am wondering why anybody buys this US add-on? Little search through community will discourage many customers and minimize frustration.

Why you are still in NY, contact agent for explanation why beside 5 bars and connected to t-mobile you do not have service. Ask for refund...

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@cleasonhorst   Roaming talk is a bit tricky and unreliable in US now.

Yes, you have connected to the correct network, T-Mobile.  You will need to access to T-Mobiel 2G network for talk.  Usually the phone will connect 2G automatically for voice.  Can you manually change the Preferred network type ot 2G or 3G/2G  ?  What choice do you have to lower the network ?

Need Help? Let's chat.