cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US roaming question

Rob1963
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, so I am off the the US for 5 days, roaming will only be used for google maps and 911 if necessary. The present 5 gigs of data on my phone won't work right? I have to purchase a data add on right? Just want to clarify, TIA

22 REPLIES 22

@cowgirl-nik- There's a use offline option with Google maps. You pre-download areas and then you can use those maps without needing the internet (either cell or wifi) and turning on location services (gps) will indicate your location. You can use directions too. Not live turning navigation though.

The only part that is complicated is talk in your case. Text and data would be fine on the phone assuming you have general defaults set like automatic networks and 4G LTE. If you got data then the only extra thing you need to do is turn on roaming data. You can actually do that now and anytime seeing as how this place won't charge you anything extra anyway.

I prefer TextNow (a voip app) because it's so much like a phone. WhatsApp only talks with another WhatsApp.

@cowgirl-nik 

whatsapp and textnow are slightly different

Whatsapp calls are  app to app calling.  Both parties have to have Whatsapp to use voice and video calling

TextNow is a VoIP app, it's almost like a real phone except it is an app. After you installed Textnow, you will need to pick a 10 digits phone number.  Then you can use the app to make "regular" calls to any 10 digits Canadian and US number for free (you can also call LD calls but you will need to pay).  And people on regular phone can call the new 10 digits number from a regular phone and you can answer the call with the app as long as you have Wifi  or Mobile Data

cowgirl-nik

I have WhatsApp, is textnow the same thing? Thanks for the extra info, I printed off maps and think I'll just use wifi. If I had a newer phone and it was less complicated I'd try it but it's only 4 days and most everyone I care about can send me a Facebook message. If I change my mind I can add it on at the hotel. I appreciate all the information, wouldn't want to be stuck somewhere not knowing how it works.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@dust2dust  

Nice work. It's great that you often answer the questions directed to my owner since she went was forced to retire by the powers that be.....we don't always communicate well? Like throwing cat snax (treats) everytime I open my mouth will fix everything?!! 😀🐈👍

@cowgirl-nik 

You couldn't have gotten a better member to help answer your questions. Since you don't want to change plans ( or can't) you can also consider purchasing just a US Roaming data add on. If you don't need much data because you will be mostly on wifi then consider getting textnow and a Canadian phone number.

This will allow you to make and recieve phone calls using the textnow phone # as well as send and recieve SMS/MMS. Just data will also allow you to send/recieve MMS using your pm phone #. You can change your voicemail greeting to include your textnow number for callers to reach you in the US. And of course you will have data if needed while away from wifi if you haven't already downloaded maps for your visit or need to find a free wifi Hotspot etc....

Using MMS while Roaming in the US requires a US Roaming data add on....only having a text+talk bundle will not suffice. Youbcan still recieve incoming pm SMS texts without any US Roaming add ons. So without VoLTE purchasing a US Roaming data add on may be the better choice for you?

Textnow uses about 0.5mb/1 min of mobile data and is free while on wifi. Just remember to turn the background data off once you download the app to minimize mobile data usage.

More info here but the following thread has been unable to be updated by the author since VoLTE was introduced for pm customers or since the launch of the new US Roaming plans. Most advice does still apply and @dust2dust is normally around to reply or you can tag me to help answer any additional questions in that thread. No cat snax needed?!!

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Add-ons-Decommissioning-of-US-...

( Please read both the original post and the update on page 2....the update link included doesn't work properly. Using the cellmapper link is helpful in finding the exact locations of 2G cell towers if you purchase the talk and text bundle.)

@cowgirl-nik- Happy to help. Yet we get other folks who don't want to do anything in here and only want to use the company support department.

cowgirl-nik

Thank you so much for very knowledgeable support! I'm glad I checked the forums first.

@cowgirl-nik- So that's confirmed, no volte for you.
T-Mobile only, yes. You might get connected to AT&T and that would work for data and text. But for talk you can only use T-Mobile. Leaving it on the first option can work. But sometimes not. So then yes you would need to do it yourself. Talk and text will work on that. Data would need the other LTE option. So switch it back when you need data. But then you might not get incoming calls. So switch it back. 🙂 Yes volte and the US networks shutting down their UMTS networks has made this a mess. This company also severely restricts which devices they'll allow to use volte. This may be in cahoots with the manufacturers as well. It's some different seemingly proprietary implementation of volte. My phone can do volte with another provider. But this place won't allow it. It sucks.

Also be aware that 2G coverage is not great. And not in Alaska at all.

cowgirl-nik

Yes when I make a call voice and data change to UMTS and HSPA respectively.

The options are LTE/WCDNA/GSM, WCDMA/GSM, WCDMA only, GSM only

So, if I make sure I am on T-Mobile and have GSM option or GSM only it should work?

@cowgirl-nik- No mention of IMS, very unlikely to be on volte. See that Mobile voice network type line...make a call and see if it changes to UMTS.

So not having volte makes talk a little more complicated.
Go to settings, connections, mobile networks, network mode - and see if 2G (GSM) shows up in the list. If so then to use roaming add-ons when you get there your only option for talk is only with T-Mobile and using that option. It's possible that the phone will drop down on its own but I've experienced both. Auto or manual.

cowgirl-nik

Under SIM card status

Mobile network state - disconnected
Service state - In service
Mobile voice network type - LTE
Mobile data network type - LTE
Roaming - not roaming

thank you for confirming that.

@cowgirl-nik- To continue trying to find volte, go to settings, about phone, status information, sim card status - look for any mention of IMS and if registered.
Again, you won't lose those add-ons.

cowgirl-nik

I have unlimited talk Can/US and unlimited international text plus 1GB data promo and 1000 US long distance minutes, I don't want to lose the promos.

That number didn't work.

@cowgirl-nik- So that might not be enabled for volte. Other features will not be affected. You just can't use them. What plan are you on now? Of course the base plan has to remain active while roaming.
VoIP apps are very handy to use on wifi.
You can buy either bundle or data only.

Can you dial *#*#4636#*#* and if it works scroll down to a grey area and look for volte provisioned and if the toggle is showing as on?

cowgirl-nik

I have an S9, I haven't decided to buy talk/text or talk/text/data.  That sounds complicated... I might just switch my phone to wifi only and make my plans from the hotel.

I also don't want my other add-ons to become invalid and I'm not sure if that's a generic message in the shopping cart or not?

@cowgirl-nik- Which part of roaming? Talk/Text? Data? For talk, do you know if your phone has been enabled for volte yet? If so then good. If not then your phone will need to be able to switch down to 2G GSM and only on T-Mobile.
Text will work on that 2G GSM and also on both roaming partners on LTE. It will work on T-Mobile 5G.
Data will work on both on LTE. 5G on T-Mobile.

The key problem with roaming is talk. It otherwise works fine.

cowgirl-nik

I will be in the US for 5 days and want to buy a roaming add-on.  However, it states in your response under 'Spoiler' that the 3G network will no longer work in the US after July 1, 2022?

Also, in the fine print when you go to buy the add-on it says that your current promotions will no longer be valid.

I don't want to change anything on my account, I just want temporary service in the US, specifically Texas. Has anything changed since this reply was posted?

Rob1963

Thank you so much again Dar!! You are a big help 🙂

Meow
Mayor / Maire

For US you need US add-on. One of these.

US Roaming for 10 day packages

Unlimited U.S. Talk, Text and 250MB Data Bundle = $20

Unlimited U.S. Talk and Text Bundle = $15

Unlimited U.S. Talk Only = $8

Unlimited U.S. Text Only = $8

U.S. Data Only for 10 day packages

250MB = $10

500MB = $15

1GB = $20

You don't need to purchase US roaming text add-on to receive incoming texts while in US.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/us-roaming

Please note: Purchasing add-ons is two step process: 1. add funds to your account and then 2. actually purchase correct add-on. Make sure to purchase the add-on as close to trip date as the clock starts immediately upon buying and is limited for 10 days x 24 hour period.

Data you have on your account is for use while in Canada only.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Rob1963 

If you mostly just need it for maps and emergencies just a US Roaming data add on will do the trick. Make sure you download a voip provider app on your phone like textnow or fongo (fongo has way less adds and likely uses less data displaying all those ads and uses 0.5mb/min for calls.) You can use it for calls, your phone will still recieve incoming pm SMS texts and you could send MMS texts using your data.

If you are on the points program almost all add ons are discounted when redeeming points the US Roaming data add one : 250mb/5pts=$5, 500mb/10pts=$10, 1gb/15pts=$15 or a 50%, 33% and 25% savings over the $$ price.

Here's some additional info on 10 DAY US Roaming add ons....

Spoiler
  1. While you have to have an active plan to purchase and use US roaming add ons the type of plan you have does not affect the roaming add ons features.
  2. US roaming add ons start the moment you confirm and submit your purchase in your self serve account and expire 240 hours later (10 days×24 hours).
  3. You can pre-load the funds needed to purchase the add ons in your self serve account so you only have to log in, select the US roaming add on and then confirm and submit your purchase.
  4. Wait til late as possible to purchase since they are immediately valid so on free wifi at the destination airport or stopping shortly before the border at mcd's or timmy's to buy the add on while on free wifi.
  5. If you are staying longer than 10 days you must wait a minimum of 24 hours to purchase the same US roaming add on or contact the moderators to add it before the waiting period ends.
  6. If you have two US roaming add ons with a talk feature that overlap the talk feature basically gets disabled. Avoid this....but you will have to get one removed by a moderator to get your calling feature back if this happens.
  7. After purchase reboot your phone and manually select either at&t or T-mobile to get better reception. Some areas have better coverage by either provider so when travelling around the US you will be better served by choosing the provider with better signal strength by locale.
  8. You will recieve incoming texts without any US roaming add ons. Adding a voip app like the fongo app and/or textnow app for use on wifi are good to use for a back up plan or if you are only using a US Roaming data add on only. If you will be using a local SIM card you could call forward your pm phone # to your voip # before you leave Canada and remove your pm sim card so it does not connect to a US cell tower and erase your call forwarding. A voip app also works on mobile data using a fairly minimal amount of data for voice calls. (1 min=0.5mb/100 min=50mb)
  9. All US roaming add ons have either unlimted text, talk or both. Only data has limits depending on your purchase 250mb/500mb/1gb. Once the data is consumed it will just stop you could then purchase different roaming add on, wait 24 hr to buy or contact the moderator to buy the same US roaming add on again. (* except talk as previously mentioned.)

Happy travels and Stay--Safe!

Please note currently due to the decommissioning of the 3G network in the US by pm's roaming partners at&t has already begun this process but as of March 3rd 2022 still has some areas that are still served by the 3G network. T-Mobile has an end date of July 1st 2022. This will affect the ability of pm customers to send and receive voice calls and emergency service such as 911 while in the US and using pm's US roaming add ons. The current work around is to download a voip app such as textnow or fongo for use while on wifi or mobile data for voice calls when in areas no longer served by the 3G network which will eventually include all areas served by at&t and T-Mobile.

To contact customer support :

Submit a support ticket via Simple--Simon the chat bot Click here 

Or if you prefer or cannot submit a support ticket you may send a private message : Click here 

To pre-verify add in your private messaging only your full name, address, email, phone # & 4 digit account pin #

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Make sure also up be mindful that add-on purchase is a 2 step process.  

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

To add to @JK8 's post, make sure the addon you purchase for use whilst in the USA is listed as a "Roaming" addon. There are other addons to purchase with Public Mobile, but these are for use while only in Canada.

"Roaming" addons last 10 days only, so best to add these to your account while you are in the USA or just before you go.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@Rob1963 

You need to purchase a US add on.Your plan data will not work in the US.

Need Help? Let's chat.