cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US roaming for data and text

Mlporter
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I need to add on US roaming and text as we are going to the US and then on a carribbean cruise. When I look at the add-ons, it says 1 GB data for $20 for 10 days. Is that really only $20 for 10 days? And US roaming for unlimited text is $8 for 10 days? I expected a per day charge. Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Mlporter 

To answer your actual question yes those are the prices for 10 days of US Roaming add ons. The add ons that include text are SMS only. MMS requires a data add on but I believe they do not require the text add on but another member can correct me if I am wrong on that point. Incoming pm SMS texts do not require a US Roaming add on only outgoing.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Mlporter 

Yes, all USA Roaming is for 10 days. Time starts when you make the 2 step purchase Roaming Add-ons. 1- add the amount to your account 2 - purchase Add-ons.

Power off the phone then power back on and select AT&T or T-Mobile cellular network.

This will only work while you are in USA but I will not work in the Caribbean.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Mlporter 

I doubt the US Roaming add ons will work on ship unless one of your ports of call is Puerto Rico. So time the purchase for when you are in the continental US. Your best bet will be purchasing one of the US Roaming data add one and downloading a voip provider app like text now. That will allow you to call and text on both mobile data and WiFi.

You may want to have one of your phone's with the US Roaming add on for use and the other call forward their pm phone number to the others voip phone number while in Canada and removing the SIM card so it doesn't connect to a US tower that would cause the call forwarding to revert to the default call forwarding settings. Or leave it in Canada in a safe and secure place.

By doing this the phone with the US Roaming add on will receive incoming pm texts ( No roaming add ons are needed for incoming pm texts in the US.) Any incoming pm calls to your travel partners phone will ring thru on your phone's voip app. If the removed SIM card stays in Canada with a trusted friend or family member call forwarding can be changed to your partner's voip app's phone number once you set sail by the person back in Canada so you both have calling and texting services on ship using WiFi.

@AE_Collector has experience using his pm phone while at sea with it working with the cruise ship's own ship to shore calling services that are billed to the provider who adds it to the customers monthly bill as extra billing/roaming but since pm is prepaid with no overages or extra billing the services ended up being free of charge. But he can explain it better than I can.....?

Check the spoiler below for more info on US Roaming data add ons.....

Spoiler

Here is some info about US roaming add ons that should help you.....

1. While you have to have an active plan to purchase and use US roaming add ons the type of plan you have does not affect the roaming add ons features.
  2. US roaming add ons start the moment you confirm and submit your purchase in your self serve account and expire 240 hours later (10 days×24 hours).
  3. You can pre-load the funds needed to purchase the add ons in your self serve account so you only have to log in, select the US roaming add on and then confirm and submit your purchase.
  4. Wait til late as possible to purchase since they are immediately valid so on free wifi at the destination airport or stopping shortly before the border at mcd's or timmy's to buy the add on while on free wifi.
  5. If you are staying longer than 10 days you must wait a minimum of 24 hours to purchase the same US roaming add on or contact the moderators to add it before the waiting period ends.
  6. If you have two US roaming add ons with a talk feature that overlap the talk feature basically gets disabled. Avoid this....but you will have to get one removed by a moderator to get your calling feature back if this happens.
  7. After purchase reboot your phone and manually select either at&t or T-mobile to get better reception. Some areas have better coverage by either provider so when travelling around the US you will be better served by choosing the provider with better signal strength by locale.
  8. You will recieve incoming texts without any US roaming add ons. Adding the fongo app and textnow app for use on wifi are good to use for a back up plan or you could call forward your pm phone # to your fongo # before you leave Canada and purchase just the US data roaming add on. Fongo also works on mobile data (1 min=0.5mb/100 min=50mb) so you could still recieve incoming pm texts, recieve incoming pm calls to your fongo #/app, outgoing calls from your fongo number and outgoing  texts from textnow for free or small fee from fongo.
  9. All US roaming add ons have either unlimted text, talk or both. Only data has limits depending on your purchase 250mb/500mb/1gb. Once the data is consumed it will just stop you could then purchase different roaming add on, wait 24 hr to buy or contact the moderator to buy the same US roaming add on again. (* except talk as previously mentioned.)

Happy travels and Stay--Safe!

Please note currently due to the decommissioning of the 3G network in the US by pm's roaming partners at&t has already begun this process but as of March 3rd 2022 still has some areas that are still served by the 3G network. T-Mobile has an end date of July 1st 2022. This will affect the ability of pm customers to send and receive voice calls and emergency service such as 911 while in the US and using pm's US roaming add ons. The current work around is to download a voip app such as textnow or fongo for use while on wifi or mobile data for voice calls when in areas no longer served by the 3G network which will eventually include all areas served by at&t and T-Mobile.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Mlporter I recently bought the data add on, the talk text and data add on and the call only addons. All valid for the 10 day period from whenever you activate so don't activate till you are about to enter the US.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Yes. Actually exactly 240 hours. Buying add-ons needs a balance first. It makes it look like you bought an add-on but you only added money. Assuming you had no balance.

Need Help? Let's chat.