cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US roaming Add-on - can't make calls/texts

JoelleY
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi! I'm in the US now (Chicago, IL area). About 2 hours ago I activated the US Roaming Talk and Text Bundle add-on (15$ for 15 days). This is what I see on my Account Status page:

JoelleY_0-1683641581327.png

I can receive calls and texts from US, Canadian and international callers. However, I cannot make any calls or send any texts.

When I try making a call, first I get a recoded message that says my plan does not include US roaming add-on. Then, if I don't hang up, I do get connected to to a number. However, it seems to be a random number, completely different from what I am trying to call. I do get a ring, then either a random person picks up, or my call goes to someone's VM, or once I even actually got into someone's VM and was able to listen to their greeting messages, change their personal options, etc. Very weird.

If it matters, my phone is an unlocked, unbranded Samsung Galaxy 10e. Checking my phone status, I see it is connected to T-Mobile, status is roaming, data is disconnected, even though Roaming Data is enabled. I also see new APN called "sp.mp.com" which was not present before, and I assume is coming from T-Mobile.

12 REPLIES 12

@JoelleY   Thanks for the update and that is a great result  

Enjoy your trip!!

And remember, connect to T-Mobile and enable VoLTE for your roaming  🙂

JoelleY

Alright, this was all my mistake. I had completely forgotten I have two accounts/numbers with PM - one for me and one for my elderly mom. I must have accidentally logged into my mom's account and added the add-on there. I worked with CS agent Gaby and she was able to transfer the add-on to the correct account/number.
I am marking this post as a solution, however thank you to everyone who offered help and especially @dust2dust  for the tip on how to escalate the ticket.

[✔️ ...... Luddite]

JoelleY

Thanks. Sent them a message, let's see what happens.

I was suspicious and then it had been second hand confirmed that the ticket method doesn't seem to be getting where it needs to. You'll need to contact support with the old private message method which is via the envelope icon in the upper right. Then address the message to CS_Agent. They will ask some verification questions. It's easy if you know your 4 digit account pin (which you can change in the account if you don't remember it).

JoelleY

Tried this (*#*#4636#*#* key sequence and selecting GSM Only from that screen) but it did not help. In my opinion, this is the same thing as selecting "GSM Only" from Setting > Connections > Mobile Networks > Network Mode, as @dust2dust also suggested. Either way, I tried both, none of them made a difference. The phone switches from LTE to EDGE but still can't make outgoing calls and send texts, with the same message that I don't have roaming add on. This is on my and my husband's phones.

So, other than this community help, I also opened a ticket (reference number: 288016-264) and 24 hrs later I haven't heard anything, not even a receipt confirmation. What other ways do I have to engage official support?
________
edit: typo

@dcliveca--1- Excellent work! Next time, I would suggest trying the Preferred network type as LTE/UMTS/GSM if that's an available option. The phone should drop down to GSM on its own. But I've experienced needing to manually change to GSM-only in another area. Then back to the three when I returned to the previous area.

Unfortunately, not all phones can manually change to GSM nowadays.

Thanks for your experience with data. I didn't buy data the last time I bought roaming. I was skeptical that data worked on GSM. Now I'm more sure it doesn't.

dcliveca--1

Just came back having activated the US talk/text/data roaming bundle on spouse's unlocked Galaxy Note 8 (US Cellular):

- Default T-Mobile connection got incoming text no issues, no outgoing talk/text, data worked in a browser, but VoLTE is disabled because PM has whitelist that prevents phone from being used, even if VoLTE is enabled on account and the phone supports it.

- Phone's dialer disabled *#*#4636#*#* key sequence, so downloaded Google Phone dialer from Playstore to bypass.

- Key sequence allows me to view Device Information->Voice Network Type and Data Network Type, current setting = LTE for both.

- Changed Device Information->Set Preferred Network Type from LTE/UMTS auto (PRL) to GSM only (to get 2G), Voice Network Type and Data Network Type will change to something like GSM and GPRS or GPRS and Edge.  Now able to call and send text, but data in browser not working.  Ended up having to toggle Set Preferred Network Type to switch between having Talk/Text vs Data.  YMMV.

JoelleY

Thank you all for the suggestions and the information. Unfortunately nothing helped. I have:

- enabled/disabled Mobile Data

- enabled/disabled Use Data while Roaming

- switched to GSM only mode (which I believe is what you mean when you say "2G")

- enabled/disabled wifi, BT, NFC and Flight Mode

- tried calling with or without 1 or +1 prefix

And all of the possible combinations of the above. None of that worked. I finally swapped my PM SIM with my husband's office provided Rogers one which has working roaming. As soon as I put the Rogers SIM in my phone, it worked right away. My PM SIM in my husband's phone has exactly the same issues as explained in my first post.

At this point I am convinced it is something to do with my PM service and/or the add-on. @dust2dust asked me what happens when sending texts - they don't go through, and a minute or two later I receive a text from 611 stating the same thing - that I don't have a roaming add-on. The recorded message that I get every time I try to dial out is also coming from PM, as it specifically advises me to go to their web site to purchase add-on. So, my phone (and my husband's phone) connects to PM just fine, it's not a matter of frequencies, or coverage, or some local issue with T-Mobile. It's PM that somehow doesn't recognize I do have the US roaming add-on purchased, of which I have proof in my Profile and I also kept the receipt. I opened a ticket with them: Ticket reference number: 288016-264 - and haven't heard back yet. This is unfortunate and I feel let down by PM exactly when I need communications the most and I don't have much options here.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Yes none of the data-related matters matter. That is quite the experience to get those odd destinations though.

For the texting, do you have any of the RCS options turned on in the texting app?

Whether on volte or dropping to 2G, the fact that calls are getting somewhere suggests outgoing is working. Just that you're getting weird destinations. What happens with texting?

I suggest asking support to figure it out. Hopefully they can figure it out before your return.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@JoelleY 

Since you only have Talk/Text, the data connection should not matter

make sure you add a 1 in front of the 10 digits numbers to call or text

For calls, try to  enable VoLTE on your device 

iPhone: Settings->Cellular->Cellular Data Options->Voice & Data, enable 4G or LTE there

Pixel Settings->Network and Internet->Internet, click on the settings icon besides SIM 1, turn on 4G calling there

Samsung/ Other Android: Settings->Connection->Mobile Data, enable VoLTE there

You can also try to change to 2G network if VoLTE does not help with your voice calling

Meow
Mayor / Maire

I believe you did everything possible and correct. APN is for data only.

According to Public Mobile:

PM will have T-mobile 2G network for US talk. Try to manually connect to T-mobile.

Engage Roaming toggle (switch/slider). Voice and SMS text will still work.

Data will work on LTE, but will switch over to 2G to make a call.

However, the quality of service will vary depending on the different coverage areas when roaming in the USA.

JoelleY

Forgot to mention I restarted my phone multiple times already.

Need Help? Let's chat.