cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US roaming ADD-ON doesn't work.

caqmail
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Got the 15 days unlimited minutes call and text but after couple of days I'm unable to make calls or send text. As per my account it shows that I used 4.5% on the 2GB bonus. Only time I can use is when I'm on a Wifi zone oterwise I'm out of luck. How can I get the full plan to work properly? I'm in the L.A. area.

8 REPLIES 8

@gelmer- It will have zero effect. Is your phone enabled for volte yet? Can your phone be manually switched down to 2G?

The 3G and 4G that this place markets is only about speed. It uses 4G/LTE for data and text and, if on volte, talk. It otherwise can also use 3G/UMTS for data, text, talk.

The roaming partner in the states does not use 3G/UMTS. It uses 4G/LTE for data and text and, if on volte, talk. It otherwise uses 2G/GSM for talk for us to roam on. They have no service for us in Alaska.

gelmer
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I wonder if upgrading to a 4G plan will resolve this issue of 3G networks being shuttered in the USA. I will travel to US this weekend and can report. 

caqmail

Thanks I managed to made calls and sent/received text. Appreciate your help.

@caqmail   text/SMS is just plan text.  Only requires Talk and Text roaming

for MMS , it is to send pictures or multimedia.  In Canada, you only need data turned on but not really consume your data.  However, for roaming, you do need a roaming addon with data, ie, Talk/Text roaming does not allow MMS when you are in US

caqmail

Yeah it did work for couple of days. But what is the difference between text and MMS? I got the same ADD-On for my wife and I can't not even call her.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@caqmail  does your phone show connected to T-Mobile network?  If not, try to manually connect to it first instead of leaving it with Automatic

Also, try to enable VoLTE on your phone first and see if it helps with talk 

If that does not work, try to change your Preferred netwokr or network type to 2G and see if it helps the voice

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

If you bought talk and text then that's all you get. Not even MMS. Your other plan or add-on data won't work there. Did it work for a couple days and then now not? Is your account still showing as active?

Meow
Mayor / Maire

PM will have T-mobile 2G network for US talk. Try to manually connect to T-mobile.

Engage Roaming toggle (switch/slider). Voice and SMS text will still work.

Data will work on LTE, but will switch over to 2G to make a call.

However, the quality of service will vary depending on the different coverage areas when roaming in the USA.

Need Help? Let's chat.