cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US data add-on

dabr
Mayor / Maire

Just wanted to confirm couple of things about purchasing the US data add-on from someone who has recently used it.

After first purchasing (2 step) the data, what is the best procedure to activate it when in the US. 

(1)  I know you have to select one of the US partnered networks...is a particular carrier    better than another (reception wise).  Are there other steps other than having data enabled and selecting a network and maybe rebooting?

(2)   Is the US data add-on available for short trips in and out of the US within the 10 day timeframe.

Suggestions/tips appreciated to prevent any hiccups since it'll only be used for a short period.  Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

@dabr wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@LovesToPM wrote:

@dabr 

The 10 day period starts once you buy the Add-On.

On your phone, you should Enable Roaming

During the 10 day period, you can still use your regular plan while in Canada.

@dabr Please be advised that there is a well documented issue with the US roaming addon when coming back to Canada with texting not working so be aware of that possibility when you are hoping between the US and Canada.

@geopublic  Thanks for that reminder about the possible texting issues, I had forgotten posts about that problem.  I really don't want my texts being affected when returning, will have to see if I can manage without the add-on as it was only meant to be kind of an emergency back up.

My understanding is that the texting issue applies only when you purchase a US Roaming Add-On that includes texting.

If you purchase the Data-only Add-On, this does not affect texting (when the Add-On expires).

@geopublic wrote:

@LovesToPM wrote:

@dabr 

@dabr Please be advised that there is a well documented issue with the US roaming addon when coming back to Canada with texting not working so be aware of that possibility when you are hoping between the US and Canada.

@geopublic  Thanks for that reminder about the possible texting issues, I had forgotten posts about that problem.  I really don't want my texts being affected when returning, will have to see if I can manage without the add-on as it was only meant to be kind of an emergency back up.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@dabr 

In addition to what was said, re-start you phone when you arrive so that your phone will setup your APN automatically.  

@LovesToPM wrote:

@dabr 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

Thanks @LovesToPM  and @Anonymous .  Will keep all those suggestions in mind.  Network is on auto and never had to manually change any APN settings for data which has always worked well here.

Will see how it goes.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dabr 

Turn on data roaming.

If your networks are on auto then it'll probably just connect to a valid network but otherwise you'll need to manually scan for and find and connect to either AT&T or T-Mobile.

If you've had data working here then your APN settings should be good.

Yes you can go in and out of the states during those 10 days. If you manually set to either then you'll need to manually connect back to PM when back in Canada.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@dabr 

Need Help? Let's chat.