cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US data add on

Hua8222
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I went to US on July and brought a 2G data add on but it did not work. I was not able to connect to wifi during my trip. how can I ask for a refund?

16 REPLIES 16

Hua8222

thank you everyone for your reply. the issue get solved. I contacted them and get refunded. it was easy!

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@mskrisc 

Just so you understand......

Public mobile works on two networks in Canada. The 4G LTE and the 3G network.

(The 2G network was decommissioned by all providers several years ago except Rogers who maintained limited 2G network coverage until last year.)

• The 3G network supports SMS/MMS texts, voice calls and mobile data.
  • 3G network data speeds can reach 20+Mbps (up to 40mbps) depending on network traffic but average 10mbps.
  • "3G" plans refer to the data speed when using the 4G LTE network. These plans have 4G LTE data speed throttled to 3mbps. "3G" plans are not throttled on the 3G network and can reach the maximum speed the network can offer the same as "4G" plans can on the 3G network.
  • "4G" plans are not throttled on the 4G LTE network. Public Mobile promises data speeds up to 100mbps but in theory they can reach 750mbps....in theory.
  • Public mobile only supports SMS/MMS texts and mobile data on the 4G LTE network. VoLTE (Voice over LTE) calling has not yet been enabled for pm customers.
  • US Roaming add-ons work with PM's roaming partners AT&T and T-Mobile. Data speeds are the same as what US customers of these providers are offered averaging between 25mbps and 50mbps on the 4G LTE network.
  • The 3G network has been decommissioned in the US although there are a few pockets of coverage not yet decommissioned by T-Mobile. If you can connect to a 3G network in the US with a US Roaming talk add on your voice services will work.
  • T-Mobile still maintains their 2G network. As a result if you have 2G network coverage in the US voice services will work if you have talk component in your US roaming add-on while connected to T-Mobile. Your phone will automatically drop down to 2G to connect for voice calls. Voice calls won't work on AT&T. 2G data speed is very, very slow.
  • Both AT&T and T-Mobile have 5G networks that pm customers cannot access as it is not supported by pm. Just like VoLTE calling is not supported by pm.

More info and links to coverage maps for 2G. 3G, 4G LTE and 5G networks can be found here....

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Add-ons-Decommissioning-of-US-...

2G. You're already on 4G. It's that the speed is throttled.

@mskrisc wrote:

So here’s another thought… I travel in 2 days, what if I upgrade my plan to 4G then purchase US roaming, will I then connect to a US 4G service and have better luck or is it always 2G 

Your plan is unrelated to the ability to roam.  All Public Mobile customers already have access to LTE networks asssuming that the device is compatible (both domestically and while roaming in the US with a roaming package). The problem with roaming in the US has to due with the inability to use VoLTE for voice service.

mskrisc

So here’s another thought… I travel in 2 days, what if I upgrade my plan to 4G then purchase US roaming, will I then connect to a US 4G service and have better luck or is it always 2G 

@not-trust-anyon 

OP:  " I went to US on July and brought a 2G data add on but it did not work. I was not able to connect to wifi during my trip

Too late to reboot the phone after 2+month, I guess

and @computergeek541 advised OP to contacted CS agent at ‎09-17-2022 11:49 PM , i guess you came in 22 hours too late to repeat the same comment?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@mskrisc 

It really depends on how often you travel to the US and what services you need to use. If using your pm phone number is not that important then just purchasing a US Roaming data add-on with a voip phone number will suffice as incoming texts do not require an add on.

It would be nice if someone could test whether call forwarding your pm phone number to your voip phone number will work now with the elimination of the 3G network or would T-Mobile's 2G network cause it to default back to pm voicemail?

If you're traveling to the US on a regular basis then maybe look into tello. They offer very affordable plans and depending on whether or not you can suspend your account or not at a very minimum you can maintain it with the 100 minutes/free texts plan for only $5 a month. They have a wide variety of plans going up by $1 as you increase your minutes or data with unlimited text/minutes and 1 GB of data for $10 a month and up from there. You could then still use a VoIP provider phone number to call forward your public mobile phone number too before you leave Canada and just remove the SIM card so it doesn't connect to a US Tower.

https://tello.com/

mskrisc

Sounds like a travel Sim would be a better option . Ty for your help. 

@mskrisc- Manually connecting to T-Mobile is a one time thing. Not fighting with it. Then you see what features work. Data and text should theoretically work (turn on data roaming and of course turn on data). It's just talk that is the problem. And even with the available 2G/GSM from T-Mobile, the coverage may be less than ideal.

mskrisc

Thanks! This may definitely be a deal breaker for me. I’m not keen on fighting with my phone just to use it . 

@mskrisc- I would certainly be wary for talk. But if you do get any of the roaming add-ons, just be sure to manually connect to T-Mobile and hopefully your phone will support dropping to 2G for talk. AT&T seems to have abandoned us.

VoIP apps work very well while connected to the internet either using wifi or cellular data. There's a whole complicated procedure to do if you want to receive calls from your number on that voip app. You could even get texts.

mskrisc

Sadly I had the same issue last month… I’m travelling to the US again this week and am concerned this will happen again. What other options are there? Buy a US SIM card? 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Hua8222 

Just to clarify do you mean a 1 GB US roaming data add-on?

Edit:

Dang it! Keep accidentally hitting the post button today. Using mobile ain't that friendly.

To continue.... what troubleshooting did you do to attempt to connect to either AT&t or T-Mobile while you were in the US? With Public Mobile they do not offer a seamless transition like you would pay $12 a day for with telus or other first tier providers with their "roam like home' services. You must understand there is a procedure to get your US roaming add-on to work.

For future reference have a read of the following post (below) so you understand how public mobiles US Roaming add-ons work and how to get them to work.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Add-ons-Decommissioning-of-US-...

But of course you can always ask for a credit to be put on your account equal to your US roaming add-on that you purchased back in July. There are no guarantees because technically there are no refunds at public mobile. It will be up to the discretion of the customer service agent that you deal with whether they will credit your account.

Hua8222

Thank you for your prompt reply. I will contact them

@Hua8222 wrote:

I went to US on July and brought a 2G data add on but it did not work. I was not able to connect to wifi during my trip. how can I ask for a refund?

I assume that you mean mobile data and not Wi-Fi?  For that to be considered you will need to ask a customer support agent. Please open a ticket through the chatbot at:  https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html

Need Help? Let's chat.