cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US coverage.

Jlop11
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am totally confused. I am in Canada traveling to the US next month. I was going to add on some talk text minutes for 15 days but when you go into the fine print, it says US roaming’s will last 10 days. So which is it?? also it says some US carriers are turning down their 3G networks. What does that mean? I won’t have the coverage that I’m looking for? 
It’s a real nuisance. If I have to be down there in every 10 days, I got to go in and renew my package!

12 REPLIES 12

gohan84ever1

I do have a VOLTE compatible phone - and I did see the VOLTE icon on the phone, but I don't think text going through data anyways - so it should work.  I didn't think of that as that stupid icon is hidden most of the time anyways - but I was just glad I got my calls through in/out - without any issues.  My data that was getting hotspotted worked like a charm, this was my second time w/ airalo, so I was glad it worked pretty continuous.  Only time I turned it off was when I was on hotel wifi.

HI @gohan84ever1  thanks for the update.  Yes, Alaska is no T-Mobile's area and hence our roaming won't work

So, you have a VoLTE compatible  phone? were you using VoLTE for voice or just 2G?

gohan84ever1

OH Right, voice calls came in/out without issues also.

gohan84ever1

Ok - just wanted to update to those who are travelling down to the states in particular down the I-5 from Vancouver to Seattle ...and LA (California).   I had no issues with calling / texting - just MMS didn't work - I only subscribed to Talk/Text Plan for $15 as I had a hotspot with Airalo ($15 for 5GB for 30 days).   Coverage w/ T-mobile was pretty good, I was able to get my text IN/OUT with no issues in both Washington, and Anaheim (in particular).    For those who are worried - I think so far, it's decent.  From my experience, the only place with almost zero coverage is Alaska.  You may connect, but there are zero 2G sites up north, so you won't be able to do squat.

Hope that helps!

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Jlop11  As you are travelling for a month just forget PM's roaming add ons. Rather just get a US SIM with enough data to see you through plus a TextNow account so you can call/text as needed. 

Jlop11

Thsnks so much!

There are many options for US providers. As for buying additional roaming, you either: 1. need to contact support to buy it again at anytime, 2. buy the different bundle when the counter says 0/15, 3. wait 12 hours for the previous one to disappear. That wait might also be 24 hours.

But until they fix a new bug, the service stops at 10 days or the counter saying 5/15. I wonder if at this time the different bundle can be bought. That would be up to you to experiment with.

@Jlop11 

If you are going to be there longer than 15 days, I would strongly recommend purchasing a local, prepaid SIM card from either T mobile or Mint Mobile.

The coverage will be way better and the service is way more reliable.

Once you purchase it, you simply slip it in your device and connect to that particular SIM Network and you’re good to go!!!

@Jlop11 

That is the carrier PM have the contact with to use their tower when you are roaming in the USA.

BTW, you can also use WhatsApp or TextNow through wifi for free calling and texting.

Jlop11

Thank you but I am just traveling for a month or so. Why would I need to contact T-Mobile?

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Jlop11 @They did just change the roaming packages to 15 days from 10 thou some have still been having issues . Also when you are in the states you want to be connected to T-Mobile and voice seems to want 2G this is a result of the 3G service service being fazed out as you have already read about . So as a result some places may still be sticky for voice. And remember when you purchase roaming add on it starts immediately after it’s purchased so be sure to only purchase it before heading to the US 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Jlop11 

PM recently changed it from 10 days to 15 days as per on your Add-on account.

Once you are in the USA, you will need to connect to T-Mobile. It will be in 2G for talking and text.

Need Help? Let's chat.