cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US add-on worked the first week and then stopped

SarahKu
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey, I bought the 14 day US add-on, and it worked fine for the first week in Texas, but when I flew to Tennessee, it stopped working. My account still shows that I have 8 days left, and more than enough data, and on my phone screen I see the symbols for roaming, phone reception, and data, so I don't understand why it suddenly stopped working. I can only text, call and use the internet when I am connected to a wifi.

Any ideas for how to remedy that problem? I need it for my travels.

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9

SarahKu

Hey hairbag1, I did not need to renew the add-on for my recent trip, but that is very helpful to know. I would definitely not have assumed such a wait period. Thanks for the heads-up!

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

And so now here at home with wifi and mobile data turned off...does everything work as normal? Calls in and out? Texts in and out?
What make and model of phone is that? Some of these options are deep in the settings.

SarahKu

I have no idea how all that worked, and I am not much of a tech person. I don't understand why texting and calling only worked when I had wifi, and not anywhere else 😞

My base plan was active, but I didn't have the chance to try and call my phone number from another phone. The only thing I was able to figure out was when I manually switched to SMS/MMS messages, then I was able to send texts. Still no internet though. Mysterious.

SarahKu

Yes, I am back. I have an Android phone.

I don't know how to turn off rcs chat. After researching the issue, I read that it's an update from google for messages so that you can see when people have received and read your texts, but that it can cause issues at times. Apparently, you can turn it off in the messages, but it doesn't even show up on my android phone. And I don't use the google messaging app; I just use the one that my phone provided.

So you're back now I guess.
Iphone or Android? Default imessage doesn't use real sms. imessage and rcs chat need some kind of internet to work. I suggest turning on send as sms and send as mms in imessage and turn off rcs chat wherever you see it.

SarahKu

I was in Nashville, so I don't think it was a local network issue, and it lasted all week. I tried to manually change the network provider, but that didn't help, and checked the network mode.

It was bad because I had to navigate traffic with offline maps, and that took much longer than it should have ... apart from the fact that my internet did not work for other things either.

Texting started to work again eventually, after I selected SMS/MMS on the text screen every time I sent a message, but I had not changed any text settings previously. But apparently once I entered the US, they changed to "RCS-chat" automanically (whatever that means).

So, the internet issue was never resolved.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

How are you calling when on wifi? Are you using a voip app?
Is your base plan active? From another phone dial 1-855-4pu-blic and enter your number and listen to the recording. It will say either your next renewal date and balance or that it's suspended or that it can't find the number.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@SarahKu 

once you do get it working again...remember this...if you plan on getting that add-on again when it runs out, you need to wait until roaming add-on expires, then another 24 hours before re-purchasing same add-on.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@SarahKu 

could be just local network issue, did you try in different area?

try to manually change the network provider to T-Mobile instead of leaving it with Automatic and see if it works

If that does not connect, try to change to AT&T.  There are reports this week saying roaming works on AT&T as wel

Also, make sure network mode is set to Automatic or 4G (LTE), you can also try 5G

Need Help? Let's chat.