cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Travel

Judy14
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Does public Mobile have a cost effective plan for travel in US and retaining same phone # for 50 days?Or is it better to buy a temporary SIM card while in US. Mostly used for maps navigation/texting/chats

4 REPLIES 4

eddieO
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Judy14 something important to be aware of, we are able to switch plans any time we want, no contracts BUT Public Mobile has recently changed things so that the are giving us very few options (if any) to downgrade which means most plan changes are geared for more expensive plans. This means if you are switching to a higher priced plan you will likely be unable to switch back to the plan you had before. Also, if you are switching make sure you choose the option to "Change on renewal" and not the option of "Change Now". Change now will charge your credit card immediately and you will be on the new plan which means you have forfeited any remaining days you had left on the previous plan.

I'm on the $34 50GB Canada-US plan and love it, no regrets but just wanted to point out what I mentioned above as many are unaware.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Judy14 

you could upgrade to one of the currently offered plans that work in both Canada and US. When you get home, you might hafta watch close to get a cheaper Canada only plan again.

Also, for best talk experience while in US, make sure you have a volte enabled phone that's on the PM whitelist of volte enabled phones.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hey @Judy14 

Public Mobile offers 15 day Talk and Text plans and 15 day Talk. Text and Data plans. Sadly you have to renew every 16 days. However, if you choose NOT to use your Public Mobile number in the US, you have 89 days to top up your account to keep your number so it looks like you'll have LOTS of time.

If you're going to be in the US, I was looking at Mint Mobile myself $45 US for 3 months. Pretty cheap. That might be an option for you, guess it depends where you're going.

Need Help? Let's chat.