cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Roaming use after 3G shutdown in U.S.

alorentiu
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have purchase a 3G service in Canada. I will require US roaming. Will I be able to use 4G services in the U.S. with Public Mobiles U.S. Roaming or will I only be able to use what limited 3G service may be available. What do you suggest that I do ?

7 REPLIES 7

1. No.

2. Yes. Leave it set to LTE.

3. Yes, that was before the roaming partners shut down their old 3G/UMTS networks.

Be aware that you don't have "3G service in Canada". You have 4G/LTE that is speed-throttled to 3Mbps which they stupidly call 3G speed. 3G/HSPA speed is actually a good bit faster than that so it's all just stupid marketing terminology. The voice/talk function here however uses 3G/UMTS that your phone will switch down to for talk. Text and data can also work on that older 3G. When roaming on T-Mobile your phone will switch down to their old 2G/GSM network.

alorentiu
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank for the detailed response, A couple of related questions:

1. If I upgrade to PM 4G will this improve my US Roaming ?

2. When I look at my cell voice and data options, I see LTE and 3G. Does the LTE mean that my sim card will support 4G.

3. I used this phone and SIM card in Florida last March and it worked well.

Thank You

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@alorentiu 

if you plan on being in US for longer than 10 days, I'd suggest you get a local sim and a cheap plan at Walamrt in US.

While the PM text and data will work in US...the talk portion is very unreliable now. I've used it in Washington state and found PM talk add-on will work in larger city, but if you're driving through cities...it gets unreliable out of town.

Similar reports from customers who've travelled to other US states as well.

If you do use the 10 Day US roaming add-on for talk, make sure to select T-Mobile as your preferred network...AT&T no longer work for the PM add-on.

As data seems to work, you could also use Whatsapp to contact your homies.

The free voip app TextNow will also work with your data or wifi. Most motels, resorts and cafes have free wifi, you might have to ask for their password.

spelling

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@alorentiu 

I would suggest you go and purchase a local SIM or download WhatsApp or TextNow for free calling and texting through wifi.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Your success of using PM US add-on will be hit and miss depending on area where you are. It being connected to SMS/calls is a must I would look for another route (free voip app, local SIM).

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Personally, @alorentiu , I'd recommend if going to the US and you require reliable talk, text, and data, that you consider purchasing a pre-paid SIM card while down there and rely on it.

PM's US add-ons have a lot to be desired, and switching between 2G & 4G/LTE (while doable), might not suit everyone. 

There also have been reports of sporadic coverage depending on area.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@alorentiu YES and. NO.  Your roaming data will be using 4G LTE network (yes you can use that)

Your Roaming voice will be on 2G network.  Your phone will take care of the band switch when voice calls come as long as the 2G nwtiekr is thwre

Need Help? Let's chat.