cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Roaming not working correctly?

chelseycorea
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The first two days in the US my phone worked fine. Unfortunately I ran through the 250mb data in those two days, and now that the data has run out my talk and text no longer work. They will only work if I'm connected to wifi. I don't really need the data, but I do need the talk/text option. I've already tried restarting my phone. Both mine and my husband's phones are doing the same thing ... 

20 REPLIES 20

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

So your Chat features setting was on, how about your husband's..did you check his phone setting too and turn it off if it was on?

Even though you turn that off on a message app level, sometimes you need to drill down even further through the individual contact level on the messages app, by opening up someone's thread and going to the 3 dots at the top right, Details, then App Settings, then Chat features and turn this option off.

esjliv_0-1662813288489.png

Regarding calling, I know you tried restarting the phones already @chelseycorea , but try:

"Press and hold On/Off. Simultaneously, press and hold the lower part of the Volume key and keep them both pressed until your phone restarts. "

Also did you try this on both your phones...I believe @dust2dust already mentioned to check this above about 6 posts up. But you said there is no option on your phone. Did you follow these steps?

Pixel Phone by Google - Turn Wi-Fi Calling On / Off
  1. From a Home screen, swipe up to display all apps.
  2. Navigate: Settings. Network & Internet. Mobile Network. .
  3. Tap. Advanced. then tap. Wi-Fi calling. .
  4. Tap the. Wi-Fi Calling switch. to turn on or off . 

@chelseycorea 

try resetting the network settings

open settings
scroll down to system
tap on reset options
tap reset wifi,mobile & Bluetooth
tap reset settings and restart

do this while connected to Tmobile 

the exclamation mark means you don't have data. you might as well disable mobile data and roaming and see if that is what's interfering with the your calling issues. the roaming option is only for data it shouldn't affect your calling/texts 

What if you went in to airplane mode then turned on wifi and see if you can make a call. It's a mystery to me that you can make a call on wifi. What is the calling app? And what number does the recipient see? Your home Public number? Or some other number?

Adding - wait...when you say wifi you're meaning like home internet, hotel, coffee shop etc wifi right? Not mobile data?

chelseycorea

No icons show up, and there's no wifi calling option. 

chelseycorea

No, we bought directly from Google

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@chelseycorea 

Where did you get your pixel phones? Were they originally from a carrier? Like Telus?

When you make a call while connected to wifi can you look at all the little icons on the top bar and see if any "new" icons show up that you may not have seen before?

For curiosity check Settings, Network and Internet, Mobile Network, Advanced and look for WiFi Calling. And see what things are set or not if those options are even there.

chelseycorea

I have a pixel 3a and my husband's is a pixel 4 (neither are working properly). We're both set to 3G now. I tried 2G and there were no network options. With 3G we have a T-Mobile connection about 75% of the time now, but our calling only works when we have wifi. It really is the strangest thing...

What make and model is the phone? Grasping straws here, is T-Mobile somehow piping calls through VoWifi? So you set the phone to just 2G?

chelseycorea

There's an app called Google Chat and I believe it's completely wifi based. I opened my Messages app though and looked at the chat feature thing. Once I turned it off I was able to get texting to mostly work. I keep getting notifications that the T-Mobile network isn't available, but it's working most of the time at this point... For whatever reason calling only works when we're connected to wifi. I don't understand it, but that's what's happening. We'll just have to stick to text as much as possible now that it's mostly working. 

I'm 5 days into the plan, so that's not an issue. Weirdly my account shows I've used 0mb of the data, but I received a text early yesterday saying I'd used 95% and then shortly after my texting and calling stopped working 🤷‍♀️

chelseycorea

I made the changes. It works intermittently at this point. I keep getting messages that T-Mobile isn't an option, then it comes back. It's working about 3/4 of the time though, so I'll take it, haha.

@chelseycorea wrote:

I'm using the factory installed apps on my Google pixel (not Google Chat or anything, just the Messages app). I'm connected to T-Mobile but it still doesn't seem to be working. I have an exclamation mark beside my network strength bar, and it only goes away when I connect to wifi ...

When you say not 'Google Chat' you mean you do not have Chat Features enabled?

Just to be sure, check your setting...To turn chat features off:

1. Open Messages .
  2. Tap More Settings.
  3. Tap Advanced Chat features.
  4. Turn Enable chat features on or off.

This wouldn't help with your calling issue though.

How long ago did you add the US Roaming addon to your account? You should be able to see this in your payment history in My Account. The 10 day addon starts starts as soon as you add it to your account.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Wifi should have nothing to do with cell. Change that Preferred network type to 2G. Move that Automatically select network slider over and then manually find T-Mobile and hopefully it shows up and then select it. Turn off wifi. See what you have for bars. You may not have any which would suggest that you're not in a 2G coverage area. But if you do then test talk and text.

We'll look at data if you can get talk and text.

chelseycorea

I'm using the factory installed apps on my Google pixel (not Google Chat or anything, just the Messages app). I'm connected to T-Mobile but it still doesn't seem to be working. I have an exclamation mark beside my network strength bar, and it only goes away when I connect to wifi ...

chelseycorea

Thanks, I submitted a ticket. Hopefully they can help...

chelseycorea

Yes, that's the bundle. I believe I'm on T-Mobile and it's still not working unless I am connected to wifi. I've tried changing from LTE to 3G to 2G and none will give me the ability to text or talk. 

Screenshot_20220909-121233.png

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@chelseycorea 

What are you using for your phone and texting? Are you using the factory installed apps? Or are you using a VoIP provider app? If you're using something like text now it requires mobile data or Wi-Fi to work this would explain why you can only use it on Wi-Fi. If you wish to continue using those apps instead of the factory installed apps then you require more data and you'll have to buy a US roaming data add-on. If you switch to using the factory installed apps then connecting to T-Mobile has others have suggested will allow you to use the texting and talk portion of your US roaming add-on bundle.

Alexandf
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@chelseycorea 

open ticket with PM support and ask them if not works get refund

At https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start by typing "Submit a ticket", then click "Contact Us", Then click "Other", then click "Click here to submit a ticket ↗" 

have trouble with Chatbot: Private message CS Agent at: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Once ticket is submitted,(envelope icon on the top right) CS_Agent will reply you there.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Be sure to manually connect to T-Mobile. Then be sure your phone is set to be able to use 2G. Talk should work. So should text either way so that's odd that it's not.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @chelseycorea    You got this bundle?

Bundle - US Roaming - Talk Text 250 Data (10-day)

It should still work without Data.  Try to reboot your phone.  For voice to work, make sure you are connecting ONLY to T-Mobile network.  The network type should be set as Automatic or LTE/WCDMA/GSM .  Your phone would then change to connect to T-Mobile 2G network when you are on calls.

Need Help? Let's chat.