cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Roaming etc

petevg
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

PM has a 15 day, US roaming, with 3 GB data and unlimited text and talk. (today is Feb. 25, 2023) Price:  $30.  Has anyone bought this package, and how effective is it?  We are travelling to S. Carolina. I understand the best time to purchase the plan is immediately before you cross the border into the US (at a Tims for example)

10 REPLIES 10

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@petevg 

if you must have ability to call back to Canada...I suggest getting a local sim and a cheap US plan such as available at Walmart. Alternative is to get free voip app like TextNow and utilize local wifi. There's free wifi in most resorts, motels and cafes'...even McD's. You might have to ask for their password.

The talk portion of PM's roaming add-on is too unreliable nowadays, IMO.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

With the roaming changes here not long ago, you can't not get talk. There used to be talk only and text only. But now they're bundled together along with the additional data bundle. You can get several buckets of data only though.

Just leave your phone on automatic networks. It can only connect to T-Mobile in their coverage areas. 2G coverage areas are even less. Most phones will drop down to 2G for talk automatically. Some phones have removed this capability and can't even manually select 2G anymore. So hopefully your phone will drop down when you're in a 2G coverage area and you have talk and you are trying to call or the phone rings.

petshopmeister
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

In preparation for my recent visit around California (Jan 2023), I had purchased the 15 day US roaming Talk Text plan so that I could keep using my Canadian phone number. I took a chance with this plan knowing full well about the warning PM issued about spotty reception:

Important: As of February 22nd, 2022, United States (U.S.) carriers have started turning down certain 3G/HSPA networks. As a result, customers using U.S. roaming add-ons will be impacted by differences in coverage or service quality (including 9-1-1 calls) when roaming in the U.S.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/us-roaming

My connection was indeed spotty. I often found myself without a strong network signal to PM's partner carrier T-Mobile and AT&T. In places where signal was available, I was walking around close to windows and open areas trying to find an optimal reception. It was hit and miss for sure. In hindsight, perhaps I should have opted for the 15 day US Talk Text Data plan so that if SMS failed, at least iMessage might still work, but then again, if it's a network connection issue, adding a data plan may not help. I was beholden to using wifi from Starbucks and other places to receive iMessages during my trip.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

US service will depend on your luck. You decide...

According to Public Mobile:

PM will have T-mobile 2G network for US talk. Try to manually connect to T-mobile.

Roaming is for Data only. Voice and SMS text will still work.

Data will work on LTE, but will switch over to 2G to make a call.

However, the quality of service will vary depending on the different coverage areas when roaming in the USA.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@petevg , given the general feedback from the community and my own personal experience, I would suggest avoiding the calling add-on for now until VoLTE is rolled out.  T-Mobile 2G is pretty hit and miss.  If calling is critical, get a VoIP app that issues a Canadian number and forward calls to the VoIP number before leaving the home network.  A lot of people like using fongo.  I have a Google voice number which I use for calling while in the US.  Google voice number can be set up while in the US.  So there are workarounds for voice.  Enjoy your trip. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @petevg yes, Roaming option has 15 days expiry and will starts once you completed the purchase.  So, wait till you really need to use it 

Make sure the phone connects to T-Mobile.  If it does not, try manual connect 

which city and state you will be in?? It will work but some places might not work as well.  And voice could be trouble to make it work.  Download a VoIP app as backup and use it with Data just in case

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@petevg 

The PM Roaming starts once you make the Add-on purchase and will last for 360 hours.

You will manual switch the Cellular Network setting to the T-Mobile Network. It will calls and text will work on 2G and data 4G.

Adding to this, you can connect to wifi if you have an iPhone, you can text to your other party if they have an iPhone too.

Or WhatsApp if both parties have this app.

Or download TextNow for free texting and calling through wifi.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@petevg the data should work without issue.  Make sure you connect to T-Mobile network.

Voice is a different story.  Roaming voice uses TMobile 2G network which is old and unreliable.  It might or might not work depends on the area you are in.

More info here prepared by @darlicious:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Add-ons-Decommissioning-of-US-...

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@petevg 

For texting and data, connect to the T-Mobile network automatically or manually.

For talk, you will need to 'force' your device to 2G as the 3G network in the US has been decommissioned.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@petevg  Voice with US roaming can be hit or miss ,but you need to be connected to T mobile for it to work 

Need Help? Let's chat.