cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Roaming Not Working

Geodude
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey everyone,

Purchased the 1 GB add on last night for my trip to the US, mostly for GPS purposes. Phone somehow worked until I stopped at a McDonalds somewhere in New York, but now shows 'No Service.' Tried rebooting, resetting network settings, turning each setting off and on, etc. to no avail. My plan shows that I have the US 1 GB add on. So my phone is currently a brick and I'm stuck at this McDonalds half way to my destination. Anyone have any ideas?

edit: Phone is an iPhone SE running 9.3.4.

8 REPLIES 8

Tup
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Yes, T-mobile has some areas of poor signal.  I know you can select either T-mobile or AT&T but can you switch if you are in an area with poor signal?

@Geodude wrote:

This seems to work! Thanks!

@Geodude What worked??

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Geodude

This seems to work! Thanks!

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @Geodude

I'm sorry to hear about this, 

Can you please send me PM with your Public Mobile phone number so that I can help you out?

Thanks,

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

Chicklets
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Found the following in a Koodo prepaid forum

'Next time try going to Settings > Carrier > and turn off the 'Automatic' switch. once the list populates, choose AT&T to see what happens. You could possibly test it out while having a meal in White Rock!
----
You may get signal bars but "emergency calls only" and be unable to complete calls until you manually choose AT&T in carrier settings. You should then see the roaming icon in your notification ar

Chicklets
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Shazia_K If your phone is trying to connect.to tmobile then there are some areas in new york state that have no service. Try and set your destination with WIFI and it will guide you with no active data. Maybe you are in one of those no service areas. Other that you making sure that you are allowing roaming, a mod will need to help you out.  @@Shazia_K

Geodude

I did only buy the data add-on. Cool idea, but it doesn't help. Thanks though. 

neilselden
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Don't stop at McDonalds's?  😉

Seriously though. did you buy only the data add-on?  I'm just wondering, since it seems you're now connected to wifi, if maybe the 'No Service' message is because your phone automatically disables data when connected to wifi.

Just a thought.  I know my MotoG does this, and that could cause your phone to disconnect from the cellular network.  Have you tried disabling wifi and seeing if you can re-connect to the cell network?

Need Help? Let's chat.