cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Roaming How does it work

jakebooze
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Once the add on is purchased is that day, the effective date or start of the 10 days?

Any setting that need to be on? What carriers will public mobile connect to in the states?

I am in the states 10 days.

Thanks in advance Tom

5 REPLIES 5

jakebooze
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks for the reply. Tom

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@jakebooze 

Have a read of the following linked post. However since it was written AT&t has become rather unreliable for a lot of customers. T-Mobile seems to be a better choice in most cases unless you are only getting a US roaming data add-on and even then certain States like New York and Michigan have being reportedly difficult to connect to AT&t. T-Mobile for the most part has been pretty good with the exception of Alaska as T-Mobile has no coverage there and AT&t is very far and few between but it's also Alaska.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Add-ons-Decommissioning-of-US-...

I had the same experience in Western WA.  Main centers were well covered, less dense towns not so much.  Connection to AT&T was not possible, auto and manual connection to T-Mobile works well.  I would say that if roaming is mission critical, I would shop local, but it's for casual use the roaming add-ons do the job.

@jakebooze...

the 10 Day US Roaming options start as soon as you click Buy....then they last 240 hours.

I have recent experience using it in eastern Wa state...if that helps. I found that the talk/text/data work using T-Mobile. I disabled Automatic Network Selection and just clicked T-Mobile.

I found the features to work satisfactorily around bigger communities...not so much in a lot of rural areas of Washington state. There were many areas that the AT&T signal was strong...but talk/text/data wouldn't work on my phone using AT&T.

I'm not sure where you're travels are planned for..but ignore previous suggestion by not-trust.

Give the 10 Day US Roaming options a try...I think if you're going to major areas...it should work ok for you.

I suggest you wait until you get to a major area with free wifi (such as Walmart)...then log in to your account and get the add-on.

That's my recent experience using PM add-on. I don't know if @not-trust-anyon  has ever been to US and tried using the add-ons.

@jakebooze wrote:

Once the add on is purchased is that day, the effective date or start of the 10 days?

Any setting that need to be on? What carriers will public mobile connect to in the states?

I am in the states 10 days.

Thanks in advance Tom

The add-on's 10 days start immedaitely upon purchase. To use data, you'll need to make sure that the roaming data setting is turned on. In most cases, all other settings should remain the same. Roaming is within AT&T and T-Mobile, although only T-Mobile will be able to provide voice service.

Need Help? Let's chat.