cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Roaming Add-On: How to Use

rvail067
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello - I'm travelling to the U.S. this weekend and I would like to be able to text and call and use some data while there without it costing me an arm and a leg. I just now bought the $20 dollar US roaming add-on, and I was wondering if there is anything else I need to do to make sure I don't come back home to Canada with a massive phone bill.

Is there anything I need to toggle on or off in my settings? I have an apple phone by the way. 

Is there anything I should avoid doing? Any tips to avoid going bankrupt lol? Asking because I had a $500 dollar phone bill when I got back from Mexico (wifes phone) even when I was said to be on "wifi calling". Trying to avoid that whole fiasco again.

6 REPLIES 6

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@rvail067  - 

Note that purchasing an add-on is a two step process.

You should be able to use it instantly....when in the USA when referring to Roaming addons

1-First you need to add the $ to your account and

2-then add the add-on to your account.

Sooo, if you still see the $20 in your Available Funds area, then perhaps you did not actually add the addon yet on your account yet. That would be a good thing, since you will not be in the USA since this weekend.

Then, when the day you go, complete step #2 above.

If you do see the Roaming Addon listed under your Plan Details of your self serve account then I would suggest to contact CSA by either method provided by @dabr to ask for them to add the funds back to your Available Funds area, since you cannot use this feature in Canada.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@rvail067 wrote:

Is there anything I should avoid doing? Any tips to avoid going bankrupt lol? Asking because I had a $500 dollar phone bill when I got back from Mexico (wifes phone) even when I was said to be on "wifi calling". Trying to avoid that whole fiasco again.

Your Public Mobile account is a prepaid account...which means if you didn't prepay, you don't have service. You shouldn't have racked up $500 while you were away unless you were manually buying add-ons frequently (which don't work in Mx)

How long were you gone ? Which PM plan does wife pay for ?

Before paying the $500...get some understanding what you're paying for. With Public Mobile, you shouldn't have a bill to worry about...you've already prepaid for service.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@rvail067    If you've already purchased the data add-on and won't going to the US straight away, I would ask customer support for an account credit so that you have the available funds closer to your trip.  Let them know you made a mistake and they should be able to help out.

Here's couple of links to customer support:  https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Meow
Mayor / Maire

I hope you are already in US or will be shortly as US add-ons start immediately and last 240 hours from the time of purchase.

Activate 'roaming' and try to connect to AT&T or T-mobile. One could be better than the other so, if one doesn't work well, try the other one.

US roaming Talk cannot be stacked. Next one has to be purchased after initial expire but you have to wait 24 hours.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

The first thing you needed to do was not buy the add-on before you left. Are you sure you did both steps? Or do you still see the amount in your balance?

It's on for 240 hours. Then if you need more then there's a couple options at that time.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@rvail067    PM is prepaid so you will only be able to use whatever you've already purchased and so no need to worry about overages.   edit:  once you've depleted the add-on data, you won't be able to use more until you purchase another.

Make sure you have the roaming add-on and that the funds aren't just sitting in the account as both steps of adding funds and then back to add-ons page to purchase is required.  Make sure data is enabled on your phone too.  BTW, the US roaming add-ons are active immediately and will be available for 10 days only, so it's advised to purchase them as close to your arrival in the US as possible.

Need Help? Let's chat.