cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Roam talk/text/ data Add on

jay18
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Last time to the US I bought the US Roam Talk /text /data add on for $20, however when I was in the US was notified that I could not receive text messages from Canada and would have to get an extra add on ?  Checked the options and do not understand what to add on.. very little information given.. Question is what are /is the best affordable option for US roam talk and text /data where I can receive and sent text message to Canada ?  Thank you

5 REPLIES 5

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

Get US roaming data and texting and you will be able to still be in contact with people.  I just had a family member down in the US and this is what they got and it worked well for them.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@jay18 

Lol... That was an interesting choice for a solution but whatever rocks your boat! But just so you know you do not require any us roaming add-ons to receive Public Mobile texts you would only require one to send them. So if you only want texting you can just get a texting add on however it is for SMS text only if you wish to send MMS text you required data unlike your plan here in Canada that only requires data to be enabled on your phone.

As in my thread you can just purchase us roaming data and use a VoIP provider app for your voice calls and to send texts as well as receive them on the phone number you choose with the VoIP app. But you will still receive public mobile text then all you have to do is purchase US roaming data and it covers all your needs as long as you don't mind using a different number to send text and use for voice calls. You will be able to still send MMS texts with your public mobile phone number but they will use mobile data.

Otherwise one of the most affordable options for a US provider would be tello who has plans that start at $5 going up incrementally by $1 with increased minutes and data with $10 giving you unlimited minutes and texts and one gigabyte of data for 30 days and then all the way up to $29 for 30 GB of data. You may want to check them out they also have a referral program mind you I don't know anybody with tello but it can't be that hard to find someone willing to give you a referral code and they also offer promotions.

jay18

Okay thank you

jay18

Okay thank you

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@jay18   Main problem with US roaming is just voice.  Because of the 3G shutdown, PM voice roaming can only work on T-Mobile 2G network

it's ok for data and text as they both will work on AT&T and T-Mobile LTE network.  So, nothing changed on that 2 services.  

I guess you can buy only Data (maybe text as well) roaming.  For voice (as well as text), use VoIP app like TextNow and Fongo.  But of course, the VoIP app will be using a different phone number

For more info on the roaming situation, check @darlicious ' post here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Add-ons-Decommissioning-of-US-...

Need Help? Let's chat.