cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Data Add-on

Rickyrsx
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If I buy the data add-on, does it start immediately or can I set a start date?  

16 REPLIES 16

@lefty4666 wrote:

Just tried to set up an add on for US roaming but began to suspect that it would start immediately. From the info here, that seems to be correct, so I will purchase just before leaving and maybe add (have access to wifi in the US) another 10 days to cover the rest of my trip, Hope this works. Once more, this PM Community set up is really cool. Thanks guys

@lefty4666 

If you have easy access to wifi, consider adding a voip like Textnow for unlimited free calls and texts.🙂

Edit: If you want to buy the same add-on after the first one expires, you'll need to ask CS to do it for you, otherwise there is a delay of 24hrs before you can do it yourself.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lefty4666 

For US Roaming 10 day packages

Unlimited U.S. Talk, Text and 250MB Data Bundle = $20

Unlimited U.S. Talk and Text Bundle = $15

Unlimited U.S. Talk Only = $8

Unlimited U.S. Text Only = $8

U.S. Data Only 10 day packages

250MB = $10

500MB = $15

1GB = $20

*when you visit US and then Purchase it,

sign in to Self-Serve, to review your account, if you found at Available Funds: $$

Try To Purchase Add-Ons Using Your Self-Serve Account

To purchase Add-Ons using your Self-Serve account, follow these steps:

1. Click on ‘Purchase Add- Ons’ on the Overview tab and scroll down to the Add-On calculator.
  2. Click the plus sign (+) to add and the minus sign (-) to remove selected Add-ons.
  3. When you’ve added all your desired Add-Ons, click ‘Buy Add-Ons’ or ‘Make a Payment’ below the calculator:
    • You will see ‘Make a Payment’ instead of ‘Buy Add-Ons’ if there are not enough funds in your account to make the purchase.
    • If you don’t have sufficient funds to purchase the Add-Ons, you will be asked to make a one-time payment equal to the price of the Add-On, less your current available funds. Click ‘Submit’, then ‘Go back’: now the button below the calculator will say ‘Buy Add-Ons’.
  4. Select ‘Confirm my purchase’, and you’re off to the races!
  5. after you Add-on you have to do Rebooting your phone

what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

Overview Of Add-Ons visit Here link.

@lefty4666   yes, 240 hours start counting from the moment the add-on is bought successfully.  If you are cool with it, maybe load enough fund on your self-serve first, then you can buy it quicker whenever you are in US. 

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Good thinking @lefty4666 , hope you have a good trip, and have roaming coverage throughout!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lefty4666 : If you have a registered payment card then you can also use 18554public from the US from another phone or voip app and buy the add-ons. You can try 611 from the phone in the US but I'm not sure if that'll work without a talk add-on.

@lefty4666 They expire 10 days after purchase.

• 10 days (or 240 hours) after you purchase a U.S. Roaming Add-On, it will automatically expire. For example, if you purchase the Add-on on January 1st at 12:00 PM, it will automatically expire on January 11th at 11:59 AM.

lefty4666
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just tried to set up an add on for US roaming but began to suspect that it would start immediately. From the info here, that seems to be correct, so I will purchase just before leaving and maybe add (have access to wifi in the US) another 10 days to cover the rest of my trip, Hope this works. Once more, this PM Community set up is really cool. Thanks guys

Rickyrsx

I'll be going to LA and I'm arriving at 12:30 AM. I think I'll just buy it when I get there.  Not absolutely critical as I'll have wifi at the hotel.  Thanks again!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@will13am wrote:

From what I recall, the add-ons are timed by day and not by hours.  So, buying it the morning of a day is the same as buying it an hour before end of day. 

@will13am exactly, that's what I was trying to get at when I mentioned anytime from 00:01 to 23:59, that day counts as day 1.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

From what I recall, the add-ons are timed by day and not by hours.  So, buying it the morning of a day is the same as buying it an hour before end of day. 

srlawren

@Rickyrsx you're welcome.  I'm a bit fuzzy on how the timezones work for the US roaming add-ons, but I'm pretty sure they are all in eastern time zone (Toronto/Montreal time zone) like most things at PM.

With that in mind:  the clock starts ticking as soon as you complete the second step of the 2-step add-on purchase process.  Let's call this day 1. So if you purchase at 00:01 (like 12:01 AM) Eastern time or 23:59 (12:59 PM) Eastern Time, day 1 ends at midnight (eastern time) that day.  Day 10 ends at midnight (eastern time) at the end of the 10th day, where the first day is the day you purchase as noted above.

I just wanted to make it clear how the clock works, to make sure you don't have any unexpected gaps.  

Enjoy your trip!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Rickyrsx

My trip is exactly 10 days..LOL.  That's why I want to know if I can buy it after I land.  Thanks for all your help!

srlawren

I should add--if you've never purchased an add-on with PM before, the process can be a bit confusing.  You may want to read through my guide, located here.

srlawren

@Rickyrsx wrote:

Ok, thanks!  So should I buy it right before I leave or can I still buy it once I've landed in the US?

@Rickyrsx as usual, the answer to that is "it depends".  🙂  If you have easy access to a WiFi connection (that you trust and don't mind logging into your PM self-serve account over) once you get to the US, you could wait and buy it when you land.  I believe you can also buy it via the *611 or toll-free number through the automated phone system, but full disclosure I've never personally tried that.  Someone else may be able to provide more details.  I've always purchase the day before or the morning of my departure, from home before leaving.

It probably only matters one way or the other if your trip is close to 10 days in duration.  If it's shorter, like 1-8 days in particular, you can safely purchase the day before you leave and you'll have enough coverage for the whole trip.  If it's longer, like 10 or more days, you're going to need to re-purchase once your first 10 days ends anyway, so it probably doens't make a lot of difference if you buy before or once you land.  If it's 9 days, you may want to at least wait until the morning of your departure just to be safe. 

Rickyrsx

Ok, thanks!  So should I buy it right before I leave or can I still buy it once I've landed in the US?

srlawren

@Rickyrsx wrote:

If I buy the data add-on, does it start immediately or can I set a start date?  

@Rickyrsx unfortunately, they cannot be future-dated.  The US Roaming add-ons start immediately upon purchase.  

Need Help? Let's chat.