cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Add-ons

cshank
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Why do I need data with my US add ons.  Doesn't my regular data work in the US?

7 REPLIES 7

@cshank wrote:

If I'm not sending videos or pictures do I still need data.  I would need apps like Uber and Gps.

@cshank  - Uber and Gps need wifi or data to work.

Although for Gps you can download the maps while in a wifi zone, than use that map on your device without data/wifi. Just needs some planning ahead of time.

To view or purchase ROAMING addons, whilst travelling in the USA, call 611 or check out your addon section in your self serve account here:

https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/Overview/plan-and-Add-ons/ChangePlanLandingPage/?PageRedirect=Redi...

Note that the ROAMING addons last just 10 days (240 hours to be exact), and start as soon as you successfully add them to your account.

• Make sure data roaming is enabled in your phone settings.
  • Restarting your phone should help you connect to the correct network.
  • Go to the cellular or network settings in your phone, and check your APN configuration. If possible, manually search and select either AT&T or T-Mobile's network.

@cshank wrote:

If I'm not sending videos or pictures do I still need data.  I would need apps like Uber and Gps.

HI @cshank   If you need Uber, then you need data.  While it might work in places with Wifi, but if you loss the Wifi, like you move away from the building, Uber cannot locate you and won't work well. 

Of course, the worst part is you can be at a place without Wifi and you want to call Uber, then ,it  won't work.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@cshank : The only service available without a roaming add-on is receiving SMS texts. I think there's one or two grace calls initially. No data.

Data is about connecting to the internet. If you wish to do something that uses the internet then you need a connection to the internet. This can be wifi or cellular data. But cellular data with the PM service roaming needs roaming data.

Edit: I recently had a look at all the little US outfits with cheap service and found PayGo from Ultra Mobile. I think they belong to T-Mobile. 3 bucks for minimal features. While on vacation, are you going to spend hours on the phone, are you going to send a million texts, are you going to stream videos from your phone? No. You're on vacation. Then if you do need to talk for a while or send a bunch of texts then wait for wifi somewhere and use a voip app.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@cshank wrote:

For any cellular service in US having Canadian plan you need US add-on. You will be connected to US cell provider (AT&T or T-mobile).

GPS does not need any network connection; only fresh maps and appropriate app. But you will not be able to receive traffic updates and search as you will not have Internet due to no data.

Spudster
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

No it doesn't @cshank .   

However there's lots of free wi-fi available in US & Canada.   Make use of those while there.   You can even get a VoIP service to use while there if you'd rather not purchase a US roaming add-on.

cshank
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Noting works in US unless you have US add-on, besides WiFi of course...

US Roaming for 10 day packages

Unlimited U.S. Talk, Text and 250MB Data Bundle = $20

Unlimited U.S. Talk and Text Bundle = $15

Unlimited U.S. Talk Only = $8

Unlimited U.S. Text Only = $8

U.S. Data Only for 10 day packages

250MB = $10

500MB = $15

1GB = $20

Need Help? Let's chat.