cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to switch from Fido to Public and having issues

AdamL
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My number apparently doesn't work and there's no option to transfer my account. When I try to create an account it says my email is invalid. If its this difficult or my number doesn't work ill just go to koodo . Please help. 

Do I need to purchase a sim card regardless? is my phone number not valid? 

thank you 

9 REPLIES 9

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@AdamL 

Welcome to the community!

You cannot open a self serve account without a SIM card to activate. During the activation process you create your self serve account. If you activate instore then you have an extra step to finish creating your self serve account once you get home.

Since there is a bonus referral credit promo going on....unless you are in the GTA where you can get a cheap SIM card from CCS ($4.99 or less) you will want to activate on or before June 6th to receive the $25 (5 months×$5) credit. You can befriend any member and private message them and ask for their referral code if you don't have one. Unsolicited referral codes are against the rules and should not be used but reported instead.

Next how much data do you normally use? If you activate a $35+ plan you can use a promo code for a monthlh recurring plan data bonus of 2gb. Choose carefully the general rule is you can't change plans or you lose it. Not always but usually.

You can port in upon activation or take a temporary phone number and ensure your activation goes smoothly and all of your services work first and then port in thru your self serve account. Just remember to have your fido SIM card in the phone to reply YES to the pat (porting authorization text) within 90 minutes of recieving it. Ports usually complete in 5 min....no more than 2 hours.

You need to enter your phone #, fido account # and your full name on your fido account to port in.  

If you have more questions feel free to ask!

To contact customer support : Submit a support ticket via SIMon the chat bot Click here 

Or if you cannot submit a ticket via SIMon then Click here   ....for additional member supplied info.

This is definitely way to go - lays out the activation protocol pretty easily

On a desktop, click on the Activate link up top and follow along. Read things carefully. Have new sim, have old account #, leave old sim in, have credit card or voucher, confirm transfer.

AdamL

Ok so it let me create a Pm community account and not an actual PM account. 

So I need to get a SIM to be able to create an account? 

Also I have my own phone (iphone 11) So it would be BYOD I also couldn't check compatibility due to glitched dropped down button. But regardless I am considering due to a good data capacity for cost ratio. 

I'll happily hear out the steps. Thank you 🙂 

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@AdamL wrote:

my old account with fido is fully active. I'm having many difficulties with PM account system. I go to login and the login attempt failed with the correct information. When I say forgot password I put my email in and then it says you login failed. Yet here I am apparently logged in and somehow typing. Idk how this works. 

Also, no i have not ordered a PM SIM. Is it possible my phone number doesn't work and PM would give me a new one?

Logins for actual self-serving PM account and Community are two different things/accounts. Anybody can create Community account while self-serving account can have only PM customers.

PM does not provide phones when opening account. This is bring your own device.

If you consider switching to PM, there are few simple steps to follow. Let us know if interested to hear them...

AdamL

my old account with fido is fully active. I'm having many difficulties with PM account system. I go to login and the login attempt failed with the correct information. When I say forgot password I put my email in and then it says you login failed. Yet here I am apparently logged in and somehow typing. Idk how this works. 

Also, no i have not ordered a PM SIM. Is it possible my phone number doesn't work and PM would give me a new one?

AdamL

Ok ill look into getting a PM sim. 

my fido account is also working and in good standing. I just paid off my phone and finished my contract and want to essentially pay less for more data since it was 2 years ago I went with fido

Meow
Mayor / Maire

What number does not work?

You have to have both accounts (old and PM) active in order to port number from old to new provider.

Did you create PM self-serving account? Did you get and activated PM SIM?

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@AdamL wrote:

My number apparently doesn't work and there's no option to transfer my account. When I try to create an account it says my email is invalid. If its this difficult or my number doesn't work ill just go to koodo . Please help. 

Do I need to purchase a sim card regardless? is my phone number not valid? 

thank you 

@AdamL first thing you need a public sim card to open an account number doesn't work? is your fido account still working?

Need Help? Let's chat.