cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My iphone 5 stopped getting Cell Service

elainebajpai
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I can no longer get cell service with my iphone 5.  I also recently got a new credit card. I'm not sure if its because my phone is too old or my credit card has changed.  It says I'm paid up until June 15th so I'm assuming it isn't my card.  Is iphone 5 still supported?  How do I change my credit card?

19 REPLIES 19

elainebajpai

I just learned that turning on / off your iphone 5 is not same as a restarting it (Press and hold the Home button. While holding the Home button, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button).  That worked and I am now able to connect to Public Mobile again!!!  Thank you everyone for your help... learned a lot about my phone and this wonderful helpful community.

elainebajpai

My carrier says Public Mobile 36.0.1

elainebajpai

Hi, I checked as expected my device has not been reported lost or stolen and is not currently on the national blacklist.

@elainebajpai 

It is probably locked by another carrier…Bell or Rogers?

Go you Settings>General>About then scroll down to Carrier Lock…it should say No SIM Restrictions if it is unlocked. If it is locked, it will show the carrier name.

@elainebajpai   Check with your friend.  ask your friend to check with the provider where he got it from.  Maybe your friend missed a bill

we had another similar case, someone got a new phone from his buddy a year ago or so  but the phone was blacklisted 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Blacklisted-s20fe/m-p/825754

elainebajpai

No this phone was from a friend and he paid all his bills, and it has been working for me for 2 years, so unlikely it suddenly became blacklisted.

@elainebajpai wrote:

Not sure how to do that.  But its been the phone I've been using for 2 years with no issues so not sure how it could get blacklisted.

@elainebajpai   did you buy the phone from private sell?  Usually phones are blacklisted because the original owner of the phone leave the mobile provider without settling the unpaid bills,  the provider then blacklisted the phone that is still on lease contract.  This happens a lot with private sell. 

Unless  you got the phone from the provider yourself back then , then you can call them back and understand the situation and see if anything can be done.  But if it was private sell like what I was talking about, there pretty much nothing you can do to take if off the blacklist

elainebajpai

Not sure how to do that.  But its been the phone I've been using for 2 years with no issues so not sure how it could get blacklisted.

elainebajpai

Hi,

I've been using the phone for about 2 years without an issue, it just stopped working 2 days ago.  I hooked it up to a MAC and it says IOS is up to date.  I did not see an error Message but will check that, thanks.

elainebajpai

Thank you for the info for updating my card!

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Can you check your iPhone 5 is not blacklisted. 

@elainebajpai wrote:

My Cell service says Error.   I cannot do any calls/texts.

Where does it say that and what's the exact wording?  And iPhone 5 would definitely work at Public Mobile as long as it's locked or at least locked to Telus. When you say that you can no longer get service, did it work before with that same device.  Since you've said that your SIM card worked fine in another phone, the issue is certainly with your specific device.  Did you ever connect your phone to your computer and check for an iTunes error message?

elainebajpai

My Cell service says Error.   I cannot do any calls/texts.

elainebajpai

Did that at the Iphone store and sim is not the problem, it worked in their unlocked phone.  I cycled the airplane mode ON OFF there as well. No luck.  My phone is at IOS 12.5.5.

@elainebajpai 

The latest update for the iPhone 5 is iOS 10.3.4. This is an old update and some apps may not be supported on this update so don't delete any apps because you can't get them back. New iPhones update is up to iOS 15.5 and soon to be iOS 16.

What cell service are you not getting? Calling or texting?

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

The i5 still works on PM (telus) network.

Try cycling airplane mode ON then OFF.

To change cc, log in to your account / Payment...scroll down to Manage my card...Replace or Update cc.

hairbag1_0-1635531779929.png

@elainebajpai 

Can you try the SIM card in another unlocked phone? This will help determine whether it is a sim problem vs phone.

elainebajpai

My Account is active.  I checked my SIM card at AppleStore help desk and it is okay.  I rebooted my phone and I checked my phone IOS is up to date.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@elainebajpai 

Can you log into self service and confirm your account status is Active? If yes, try rebooting phone, resetting network settings, or reinstalling SIM card.

Need Help? Let's chat.