cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble receiving and making calls

wchu01
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am in downtown Toronto area, echoing the voice service issue that more and more people seem to be experiencing.

Have been using PM for over 2 years with no problems.

Starting having problems receiving calls about a month ago (some calls go straight to voice mail). 

I am mostly at home in a condo.

Used the forced 3G network workaround for a month or so as suggested by some people.

Gotten worse in the last couple days. 3G network sometimes is gone and voice service remains unreliable.

Have tried all the mentioned tips described by other members/moderators but no much help.

Tried to submit a ticket just now.

My wife's Speakout Wireless service is working well and we use the same phone.

Being able to receive/making calls is the most basic requirement, and customers should not have to go through so many headaches to troubleshoot this. Very concerned and disappointed by this level of service. It is crucial for many people to be able to receive calls. This is just unacceptable. I am hoping PM/Telus are taking this seriously and let us know what's going on and give us back the confidence of staying with them.

7 REPLIES 7

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@wchu01 

Interesting....so on 3G the system reads your phone as unreachable but on autoconnect the system is defaulting and sending it voicemail. So it must be taking the millisecond of a pause as your phone attempts to switch to 3G to take the call and sends it to voicemail.....must be because you have a connection to the 4G LTE network whereas in 3G the phone has no connection to the network. Which means this is a very serious issue with voice services for pm because it's in the middle of Canada's most populous city and there are many others reporting the same issue.

It seems currently you have no 3G connection (vs a very poor one). Try sending a text when in 3G only. Both SMS and an MMS so you can also test the MMS data server. If they never send you have absolutely no signal not even a very brief one that's enough to send a text. 

While in 3G only check your signal strength in Settings>>About phone>>Sim card status>>Signal strength: -50dBm to -99dBm you have service. -100dBm to -110dBm poor service. -111dBm to -120 to -120dBm you'd be lucky to have service. -120dBm to ? fuggaddaboutit!!

Stay in autoconnect and change your call forwarding to always forward and just depend on your fongo voicemail for calls you can't take or miss. Make a note of when these issues started and any changes that occurred with your voice services (good or bad) in case you want to ask for compensation until voice services are restored either traditionally or thru the enabling of VoLTE.

VoLTE may get implemented even quicker if every customer affected first complains to pm and when they do nothing complains to the CCTS to get telus to stop stalling on enabling it. I can help with that.

wchu01

Thanks all for the comments. I have opened a ticket. Will see how it goes.

In the meantime, I have downloaded Fongo app as sugggested by @darlicious and set up Call Forwarding (for Not Reachable, using *62*). It only works when I have forced my phone to 3G network. When I set my phone to 2G/3G/4G, the call did not forward and goes to voice mail again. Can someone confirm this observation? Thanks.

ml-123

I am also in downtown Toronto mostly in my condo and started experiencing the exact same issue as you are describing 1-2 months ago. I have lte with public mobile

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@wchu01 

In the meantime use this workaround for voice calls. Download either textnow or fongo and choose a canadian phone number. Then call forward your unreachable to your new textnow or fongo phone  number. When pm calls are unable to reach you they will be forwarded and ring thru to your new textnow or fongo phone app on your phone. They will use wifi or mobile data (about 0.5mb/min).

Rumour has it that telus will enable VoLTE calling for pm by the end of September. With the decommissioning of the 3G network in the US and 5G upgrades starting to diminish the ability to connect to the 3G network here in Canada telus will have to enable VoLTE calling for pm customers sooner rather than later or pm will begin to have complaints piling up with the CCTS over pm not being able to supply an essential part of their mobility services.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

One possibility Telus is upgrading its equipment and cutting off peoples' services temporarily.

Inquire with agent and let us know what their reply is.

To contact CSA-agent, there are 2 methods:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/contact-an-agent

If ticketing does not work very first time, contact agent directly.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@wchu01 , try rebooting your phone, toggle into/out of airplane mode, perform a reset of the network settings on the device, try your SIM into another phone to see if things improve.

Otherwise, perhaps network upgrades or issues are happening. See what CSA says about your location.

Hopefully things improve soon.

MrSpock
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@wchu01  hello since you tried the workarounds already you should voice your concerns by openining a ticket   to speak to a customer service agent they will help you  Click here or you can send private message to a CS Agent here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.