cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble porting number

PNT
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I signed up for Public mobile about 24 hours ago and am still unable to receive calls. I have been trying to port my number from Fido. I can call out but any time someone tries to call me they get a message saying that the client is unavailable. I sent a private message to a moderator yesterday but haven’t heard back. I’d really like to get my phone working! 

9 REPLIES 9

@PNT here is the link for moderators  

PNT
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for these suggestions. Restarting the phone didn't work and the SIM card is unavailable (I'm on holiday and left the old one at home - oops!). However, I did check the old account on the Fido website and it looks like it's still active, so I think that's the problem. 

A moderator did get back to me, so I'm hoping they can help figure out why Fido won't transfer the number. 

@geopublic wrote:

@PNT wrote:

I signed up for Public mobile about 24 hours ago and am still unable to receive calls. I have been trying to port my number from Fido. I can call out but any time someone tries to call me they get a message saying that the client is unavailable. I sent a private message to a moderator yesterday but haven’t heard back. I’d really like to get my phone working! 

@PNT  Other customers have reported that Fido ports take just over 24 hours to complete so it should complete in the next couple of hours.Smiley Happy If there was a problem with incorrect information then PM ould have send you a text to contact them via the community. Not sure why Fido takes so long to release the number.Smiley Sad

Fido ports take about 30 minutes.  I did 3 of them back to back into the same Public Mobile account earlier this year.  It's a lot faster than interacting with a rep and avoids the clumsy conversation.

@mimmo wrote:

@dabr  I never heard of the lost stolen trick helping to fix a failed port or to complete a port.  Where did you come across this?

It's probably not going to harm anything, but I would have thougth that would be more for situations of the service not working at all or the sim card not being provisioned.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@dabr  I never heard of the lost stolen trick helping to fix a failed port or to complete a port.  Where did you come across this?

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@PNT wrote:

@PNT  Other customers have reported that Fido ports take just over 24 hours to complete so it should complete in the next couple of hours.Smiley Happy If there was a problem with incorrect information then PM ould have send you a text to contact them via the community. Not sure why Fido takes so long to release the number.Smiley Sad

oglat
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

In a meantime while you wait you should be able to use the Fido sim. I just found out about it couple of days ago. 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@PNT wrote:

If restarting the phone, as suggested, doesn't work, try the lost/stolen trick.  Log into your account, select plans/add-ons, select phone lost, suspend, log out, wait at least 5 mins and log back in and report phone found and unsuspend.  Log out, restart your phone.  Sometimes this will reset your sim and account.

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

@PNTTry your old SIM, if it still works then the port hasn't gone through yet. If it doesn't work then there was a problem with the port and you will have to wait for the moderators, they may take 2-3 day to respond.

Have you tried restarting your phone or clearing your phone cache?

Need Help? Let's chat.