cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tried to port number from Telus to Public Mobile

emdub
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I just tried to port the first phone number from a Telus account, which has 2 numbers in total, as it's a joint account. I filled out all the information, the site started doing it's thing and I think after step 3 (Activating your SIM) it said "Oops, looks like something went wrong. Please start a conversation with out virtual assistant to create troubleshooting ticket.... Error code: 821."

The problem is I can't even create a troubleshooting ticket because in step 3 of the form it asks me to verify my Public Mobile account (details like my account number, last payment etc) which I don't even have because the account is not activated yet.

So the question is what's the next step?

Thanks,

M.

13 REPLIES 13

@emdub  welcome to PM. 

Any question, just come and post  🙂

emdub

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help yesterday. The issue has been fixed by a cs rep, and the rep was able to quickly port the other number without any issues at all. Great community here 🙂 Thanks again!

emdub

I'll have to try tomorrow. They're closed already.

emdub

Got it. Thank you.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@emdub 

The telus porting department can fix the issue quicker than customer support can at this point. Once fixed proceed with your wife's activation using a temporary phone # (and your referral code from your new account) and port in as per my instructions.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@emdub 

For now call the telus porting department to fix the current issue. They close in 20 minutes. I will message you then  number.

emdub

It says "phone number not eligible for port". I'm guessing the same issue is happening as when I tried to activate the second time where it said "not a valid Canadian number". Customer service rep said he is seeing the number in the system and that there is already a request to port. So I'm guessing the number got stock somewhere in the system.

Now I'm wondering when or if this is solved, if I'll have to go through the same process with my wife's number as well. If it's better to create a new random number and then follow the steps you outlined above instead of directly trying to port the number.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@emdub 

If the first activation failed then proceed with activating again and choosing a temporary phone number. ( If you choose an Alberta phone # you will only pay 5% gst on the activation plan.) Make sure you enter your friends referral code for the $10 bonus credit on page 4 of the activation portal. Write down or screenshot the email, password, 4 digit account pin# and print or screenshot the transaction summary at the end of a successful activation.

Wait a few minutes and then log into the newly created self serve account. Make a note of the referral code or copy it to paste it during the activation of the second account.

Once you have successfully activated both Sim cards and can log into their self serve accounts you can port in your telus phone numbers. Port in the non-account holders phone # first by using the change phone # feature in the self serve account's profile page. After checking the authorized to port box enter the following info:

1. Full name on the account.
  2. Phone # to be ported in.
  3. Telus account #.
  4. Alternate phone #. (Optional but use a family member or work #.)

Then make sure the telus Sim card is in the phone to reply YES to the PAT (porting authorization text) within 90 minutes of receiving it.  The port should complete within minutes. Proceed to porting in the account holder's phone # in their account by repeating the process. Once this port completes the telus account will automatically cancel and be closed and you will recieve a "Sorry to see you go..." email from telus.

Welcome to Public Mobile!

emdub

Sounds good. Thank you

emdub

Hey Dunkman,

I used my old Telus account number to do it. But I believe it failed at activating sim, not processing the CC. I was told to try to activate again with a random number and then contact CS and try to port in the number. 

@emdub " number is not a valid Canadian number...", because the earlier request activation already have the porting request submitted and hung there

you have done the proper step to open ticket with PM Support

just monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply to you there

@emdub 

First check if your credit card was charged.

If not charged, you can try again.  However, try with a different web browser, clear cache or incognito mode.  This website is finicky.  For your port, just include account holder name, phone number and account number. Do not include IME.  

emdub

I was able to submit the ticket after all. I realized I didn't need to fill out some of the fields.

I also tried to redo the activation but now it tells me that my existing phone number is not a valid Canadian number...

Need Help? Let's chat.