cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travelling to the USA

Weeya
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I will be traveling to the USA for 5 days next week. I have an iPhone 8 with a 15$/3G plan.

Can I use my plan with a roaming pass for USA or I have to change plan?

Also, when purchasing a roaming plan does it allow me to use my regular plan in the USA ?

Lastly, if I have to upgrade my plan,will I be credited for my old plan ? Because my billing is November 24 to December 24.

Thanks for helping! 

10 REPLIES 10

@dust2dust wrote:

I seem to think we've seen reports of roaming not working in NYC. Only T-Mobile works now for anything. And talk needs their old 2G coverage which may be unavailable. Text and data should work fine.

@Yummy- Please update your reference materials and not mention AT&T. It simply does not connect.

Thank you @dust2dust  for clarification.

I seem to think we've seen reports of roaming not working in NYC. Only T-Mobile works now for anything. And talk needs their old 2G coverage which may be unavailable. Text and data should work fine.

@Yummy- Please update your reference materials and not mention AT&T. It simply does not connect.

Weeya

Thank you!

@Weeya wrote:

I’m going to New York City.

My dad is with Telus and this summer he went to Boston and he was roaming for 12$/day and it uses his cell plan… So Public Mobile is nothing like that if I understand correctly?

@Weeya   no, PM does not have Roam Like Home.   You need to buy extra Roaming addon, which are all 10 days in length and use different set of data and minute form your regular plan

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

@Weeya wrote:

My dad is with Telus and this summer he went to Boston and he was roaming for 12$/day and it uses his cell plan… So Public Mobile is nothing like that if I understand correctly?

That is correct. PM has only US add-on packages not service in US provided by plan itself.

Weeya

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

To have service in USA you need to buy appropriate US add-on valid for 10 days from the moment of purchase.

You do not need to change your current PM plan

PM does not provide credit nor refund when upgrading/downgrading plan.

US Roaming for 10 day packages

Unlimited U.S. Talk, Text and 250MB Data Bundle = $20

Unlimited U.S. Talk and Text Bundle = $15

Unlimited U.S. Talk Only = $8

Unlimited U.S. Text Only = $8

U.S. Data Only for 10 day packages

250MB = $10

500MB = $15

1GB = $20

You don't need to purchase US roaming text add-on to receive incoming texts while in US.

1. Enable roaming.
  2. Reboot your phone.
  3. Manually select AT&T or T-Mobile.
  4. Ensure you have 4G LTE connectivity.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Weeya 

First, you don't need a 4G plan to use roaming. The 3G plan you have is in fact a "3G speed plan", which works on both 3G and 4G network, just the speed is capped

For using the service in US, you will need roaming add-on. They are all 10 days in lenght. Depends on what you need, you can buy Roaming data, or combination of voice or Talk.  But you can also just buy Roaming data, then then install  VoIP app like TextNow.  TextNow will give you another 10 digits number which you can make and receive  free voice calls and text (using a different phone number)

Or you can also try buying Roaming Talk.  With a Roaming Talk, you can make and receive calls on your  PM phone number. But it uses T-Mobile's 2G network and it might not work in some area. But if you cannot really use the voice, PM support will usually refund that voice portion.

walker1
Mayor / Maire

@Weeya 

There's no need to change your current plan.  You just need to buy a USA add on.

You can't use any thing from your regular plan for roaming.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Weeya 

Yes you can purchase a US Roaming on your $15 plan but remember to connect to T-Mobile cellular while in the US.

Need Help? Let's chat.