cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travelling to US

whale66
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm travelling to the U.S. next week & would like some clarification on exactly what I need to purchase for add ons. The last time I went to the US my phone wouldn't work because apparently I chose a package for U.S. use FROM Canada TO the U.S. (went into PM kiosk & they told me what to do which was incorrect info). I ended up spending the first 3 days of my vacation trying to sort it out so I want to be clear on exactly what I need this time.

On my account, the following promo's are showing:Current PlanAdd-ons 

1) Unlimited International Text - so I can text FROM the US TO Canada right?? I don't need a US texting add on

2) There are several FREE add on's showing - 400 INTL long distance minutes, 500 INTL long distance minutes & 500 one time Int'l LD bonus.

So does this mean I do NOT need to purchase add ons for texting and calling while in the US, whether it's FROM the US back to Canada or FROM the US to another US number? And if so, I would only need the $20 data add on for US?

I realize the add ons are only effective for 10 days, I'm leaving June 15th & will be back on June 22nd so I will be putting the add on's onto my account on June 14th which means they will be in effect until June 24th....correct??

Any advice & help would be much appreciated! Thank you!

16 REPLIES 16

whale66

had a hard time but got it done.....not sure if there is an issue with the site or my computer but every time I've tried to click edit, nothing is happening. Think it worked now & I deleted your comment as a solution....thanks

@whale66    The community account (this one) is separate from your self serve account (billing) with different logins.

edit:  just to clarify, yes if you are already logged into both the community and self serve accounts (and didn't log out of either one), you will be able to flip back and forth between the two accounts, but otherwise they are completely separate and serve different functions, of course.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@whale66    Good to see you've managed to delete your screenshot, but you'll need to remove the solution as my post didn't offer any suggestions for your initial question regarding US roaming options.  Then you will need to select one of earlier posts that offered a correct response to your question.

whale66

yes I was clicking that but nothing was coming up.....I finally was able to navigate to my photo album, kinda convoluted way to find it & it's taken me over 10 minutes but I deleted it.....also, do we not login to the community differently than our account? When I log in using my community info I'm getting an error & when I use my account info, it takes me to main billing page & then says "community" & then sign in....but then I don't need to sign in to see info. The different credentials don't seem to be needed any more when switching from main account to community. 

@whale66    You are clicking the edit function on the post with the screenshot?   Try scrolling up/down with the arrow on the right hand side of your message box to view more of your post if you have clicked the edit function.

edit:  otherwise just select the whole image from your album/library and delete it from there, then it will also get deleted from your post.

whale66

clicking on edit & nothing is coming up for me to delete or edit the post....

whale66

eek.....didn't even notice that, thought I cropped out all of my info....will do that now

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@whale66   You need to delete your screenshot showing your phone number as you're posting on a public forum.  Click the down arrow on your post and then edit/delete.  Then you'll also need to remove it from your photo album/library.  Click your avatar top right and select My Profile and scroll down the page to My Photos, and select the image you need to delete.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@whale66 

All your plan shown are calls and text from Canada.

Just remember, if you are in another country like US. There are no Telus towers so Roaming is required so you need US roaming plan (10 days).

The roaming allows you to connect to AT&T or T-Mobile towers.

@whale66 wrote:

Okay all of the INTL LD minutes are only for calls FROM Canada to anywhere outside of Canada correct? And the same applies to unlimited INTL text, it's for texts FROM Canada to anywhere outside of Canada correct? So with this I can receive incoming texts but CANNOT send texts correct? Thanks so much!

@whale66   Yes, the unlimited text there is from texting from Canada to US

when you are in US, you can receive text free but not to send or reply

Will you consider buy local data in US? cheaper that way.  Can you can use VoIP app to call and text back to Canada

@whale66 wrote:

just looking at the options - in the US Bundle option are the talk & text unlimited?

HI @whale66   Yes, the Talk and Text is unlimited for 10 days , 240 hours from the moment you purchase

whale66

just looking at the options - in the US Bundle option are the talk & text unlimited?

whale66

Okay all of the INTL LD minutes are only for calls FROM Canada to anywhere outside of Canada correct? And the same applies to unlimited INTL text, it's for texts FROM Canada to anywhere outside of Canada correct? So with this I can receive incoming texts but CANNOT send texts correct? Thanks so much!

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Everything you have works FROM Canada only.

You would need one of these where it says 'US'

Yummy_0-1654877569826.png

It has to be US add-on.

US Roaming for 10 day packages

Unlimited U.S. Talk, Text and 250MB Data Bundle = $20

Unlimited U.S. Talk and Text Bundle = $15

Unlimited U.S. Talk Only = $8

Unlimited U.S. Text Only = $8

U.S. Data Only for 10 day packages

250MB = $10

500MB = $15

1GB = $20

You don't need to purchase US roaming text add-on to receive incoming texts while in US.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/us-roaming

Please note: Purchasing add-ons is two step process: 1. add funds to your account and then 2. actually purchase correct add-on. Make sure to purchase the add-on as close to trip date as the clock starts immediately upon buying and is limited for 10 days x 24 hour period.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

The only thing that will work of here is incoming texts. Talk and data will need the roaming add-ons.

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@whale66 @Hi you need one of the 10 day roaming adding nothing in your account will allow you to text or phone from US to Canada they are all for use from Canada to US

Need Help? Let's chat.