cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travelling in Europe

Sam7754
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi All,

I will spending 4 weeks in Europe soon. I have an Android phone (Nokia 5.3). From what I can see online, it looks like I need to get a European SIM card but for it to work, I need to know if my phone is unlocked. I don't have another SIM card to put in my phone to test if the phone is unlocked. How else can I find out if my phone is unlocked? 

Also, I am looking for SIM card recommendations. Here is what I need the SIM card to do:

1. Text, call, and data. 

2. I want to be able to call within Europe (UK, Italy, France, and Switzerland) and back to Canada. 

I have had bad luck in the past with this type of thing. For example, calling cards only work the first time I use them and so on. For this reason, I really want an easy and reliable option - where I literally just have to put in the SIM card and get on with my trip. Any recommendations? 

3 REPLIES 3

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Sam7754 

Since the Nokia 5.3 started production on March 19/20. It should be unlocked if you purchased it in Canada. 
As for the SIM card, I would recommend you check on Amazon and review the ratings for that SIM before you make the purchase.

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

@Sam7754  how long ago and where  did you purchase the phone? As of December 2017 all phones purchased in Canada must be sold unlocked.

If you go through the settings what does it say? 

Settings>connections,  mobile networks> network operator. What does it say? It should say Public Mobile.  Public does not lock phones.

@Sam7754 wrote:

Hi All,

I will spending 4 weeks in Europe soon. I have an Android phone (Nokia 5.3). From what I can see online, it looks like I need to get a European SIM card but for it to work, I need to know if my phone is unlocked. I don't have another SIM card to put in my phone to test if the phone is unlocked. How else can I find out if my phone is unlocked? 

Also, I am looking for SIM card recommendations. Here is what I need the SIM card to do:

1. Text, call, and data. 

2. I want to be able to call within Europe (UK, Italy, France, and Switzerland) and back to Canada. 

I have had bad luck in the past with this type of thing. For example, calling cards only work the first time I use them and so on. For this reason, I really want an easy and reliable option - where I literally just have to put in the SIM card and get on with my trip. Any recommendations? 

Unfortunately, there is no Public Mobile roaming service anywhere but in the United States (and non-roaming servcie) in Canada.  There are some Wi-Fi options such as Whatsapp, Faceback Messenger, and Textnow, but those would still require some type of active internet connection.

Need Help? Let's chat.