cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My phone disconnects when I turn on hotspot

JThornton
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm travelling in the U.S. (upstate NY) and when I cross the boarder, I get 5G connection.  It seems to prefer T-Mobile.  I tried manually setting the network, but AT&T and Verizon both won't even connect. I turned  automatic mode back on and it connects to T-Mobile.

As soon as I turn on my hotspot for my son to use it in the car, the signal drops completely (no bars and an X showing no connection for voice or data).

I have the 50GB US/Canada  plan.

Does anyone know how to fix this?  I have 2 APN's.

Screenshot_2024-08-09-17-02-10-722_com.android.settings.jpg

Screenshot_2024-08-09-17-02-03-520_com.android.settings.jpg

Screenshot_2024-08-09-17-02-00-935_com.android.settings.jpg

Screenshot_2024-08-09-17-01-57-521_com.android.settings.jpg

Screenshot_2024-08-09-17-11-02-944_com.android.settings.jpg

Screenshot_2024-08-09-17-02-16-884_com.android.settings.jpg

Screenshot_2024-08-09-17-02-16-884_com.android.settings.jpg

 please help!

5 REPLIES 5

@JThornton wrote:

As soon as I turn on my hotspot for my son to use it in the car, the signal drops completely (no bars and an X showing no connection for voice or data).

To me, this sounds possibly to to be a device software bug.  Regardless of how the APN settings are set up, enabling hotspot should not be cause an "x" in the signal meter and it should not be causing voice services to stop working.

@hairbag1 wrote:

@JThornton 

in the cellphone settings...make sure you have Roaming Data enabled. Just leave it on.

Whether or not raoming data is turned on, enabling hotspot should not be causing the phone disconnect entirely from the network. I'm uncertain how the data roaming setting would have any effect on this.

JThornton
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you for such a fast response.  Roaming data is set to always.  Android.  Also...  Data & Phone work fine until I turn on a hotspot.  Then it disconnects.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @JThornton try to change the. network to 4G or LTE and try all 3 networks with hotspot and see if it works 

I have not seen any complaints about hotspot when roaming. PM does not block hotspot and hope the US roaming carriers will do the same 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@JThornton 

in the cellphone settings...make sure you have Roaming Data enabled. Just leave it on.

Need Help? Let's chat.