cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travelling from BC to Washington State

bgdkmckay
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

We are soon leaving BC for Washington State, does anyone know if 3G still works in this state? I am planning on adding on the 10-day US Roam talk-text and 250MB data....but am wondering if it will work now that 3G is being phased out?

6 REPLIES 6

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@bgdkmckay 

I missed your update but thanks to @Luddite (who I will reply to in your linked thread) posting to and being notified I see what I missed that may have helped you as there have been a few customers post about connectivity issues in Washington state.

So for the moment without a 3G network you can pretty much strike out the talk portion of the bundle because even with T-Mobile's 2G network option for talk its just not going to be all that reliable unless you happen on to be staying in an area with reliable 2G network access. Data and text on the 4G LTE network should be fairly reliable dependant on local topography seeing as most Washingtonians have reliable mobile service you will be able to access one of the two major providers in the US.

Sorry I can't offer personal experience despite fairly close proximity to the US border as the last time I crossed over to the "other" side cell phones were still bricks.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@bgdkmckay  If you know the address where you will be staying, order a SIM from TextNow, get an account before departure, and add a data plan once there. If you pick a Canadian number, forward your PM number. "Infomercial 😂" here: $10 plan - Community (publicmobile.ca)

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@bgdkmckay 

when you Travelling to USA then purchase the add-ons you needed,
is will be contacting automatic which Available for AT&T or T-mobile,
after purchase just do rebooting your device. is will be working fine if not working,, go to your network and select which showing you for AT&T or T-mobile,

in your device Roaming turn on.

bgdkmckay
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I should have mentioned, I did read the attached link. That is why I specifically asked if anyone had any experience travelling from BC to Washington State and what worked or did not work...thanks again.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@bgdkmckay It's hard to say if you will be impacted by the limited 3G availability in the US as it depends on the area you are at. I suggest you give it a try and if it doesn't work in all areas of Washington state, you might want to reach out to PM CS Agent to see what they can do about the roaming add-on purchase that didn't work. 

U.S. Roaming (publicmobile.ca)

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@bgdkmckay 

Keep in mind that Washington state like BC with its mountainous terrain there are areas with no or poor network connectivity. Read the following post to decide which US Roaming options will work best for your needs.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Add-ons-Decommissioning-of-US-...

Need Help? Let's chat.