cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring from Koodo to Public Mobile

Purpledoc
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am planning to transfer from Koodo to Public Mobile. I added port protection to my Koodo account a couple of years ago as a security measure. Do I need to contact Koodo to have this removed before trying to transfer my number to  PM? The next available call back from Koodo is not for three days. Sigh.

6 REPLIES 6

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Purpledoc 

When you activate and get to the plans page choose the $55/20gb plan. On the following page is the referral code box and promocode box. Try entering 20OFFMONTHLY anyways and see if it is accepted. If so screenshot the page for proof....in fact screenshot your way thru the entire activation and your transaction summary once completed so you have a copy of everything you entered. Otherwise the $45/20gb plan should still be available at activation.

Given the porting issues that have been occurring I would also strongly suggest you activate with a temporary phone # and ensure all of your pm services are working. You can request porting thru your self serve account afterwards.

Choosing an Alberta phone # at activation will save you the provincial sales tax on your plan amount at activation.

The bonus referral credit of $25 ($5×5 months) is limited to one referral per account but can be doubled up as both the referred customer and the referrer. Be sure to pass along the referrals... Account #1 uses a friend's referral code to activate....Account #2 uses Account #1's referral code and Account #3 uses Account #2's referral code and so on.....

I tried activating earlier and it seemed to work. Select the $55/20gb plan and then use the promo code and the cost will have the $20 taken out.

Purpledoc
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks all. I'm postpaid. I spoke to a Koodo rep today, who said Koodo actually doesn't have port protection (only Telus does), but has the port authorization text that @darlicious mentioned. Anyway, I got my SIM cards today, but just realized that the 20 GB promotion ended yesterday, lol.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@Purpledoc 

Are you Koodo prepaid or postpaid? If prepaid the process is slightly different:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/choose-your-phone-number

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Purpledoc 

Koodo prepaid or postpaid? The introduction of the PAT (porting authorization text) eliminated the need for porting protection but it is likely you will need to still have it removed. Can you not contact koodo customer support via online chat or email and request that porting protection is removed? You can still activate your Sim card with pm with a temporary phone number and ensure everything is working then when porting protection is removed port your number in thru your self serve account. Just remember to reply YES to the PAT on  your koodo Sim card.

BTW....there may be a problem with telus's automatic authorization system currently so you may want to verbally authorize your port request when you do speak to an agent. You can put the port request thru while you are on the phone with them.

Quigley
Mayor / Maire

@Purpledoc   Yes you should contact Koodo and have that port protection removed before you ask for a port, or else the port request will probably fail.

Need Help? Let's chat.