cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To all those currently waiting in 'Activation Failed' Purgatory: A Successful Resolution Story

KirkK
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

TL:DR version:  After approximately 72 hours, my activation failure (without porting a number) was resolved by a moderator.  (Thanks to Saray_O.)  There was no error on my part in registration/activation -- as no changes were required when my account was finally activated including Auto-Pay, and there was no port attempt (so no other company was involved) so the fault lies in Public Mobile's database adminstration/automated system.

This is addressed to all of you (formerly 'us') who are currently waiting in 'Activation Failed' purgatory with the following symptoms:

- On stage 6 ('Summary') of your activation you get the following nonsensical (as in contradictory) error message:  "Sorry your account activation request has failed.  Please visit our online ....<snip>

Thanks for submitting your activation request.  Your request has been processed."

- You receive an e-mail from Public Mobile but cannot log-in to self-serve, or attempt to create a new account with a PM number (making it appear your account does not exist)

- Your SIM card works in the sense that your phone connects to the PM network, and ties your new PM (temp) phone number to the SIM card but you have no access text, voice or data service.

- Your credit card has been billed.

By now you've either (in probable decreasing order of effectiveness):

1) private messaged one of the three moderators,

2) followed the Public Mobile Get Help/Contact Us webpage labyrinth to contact Public Mobile via e-mail directly

3) posted here tagging the moderators (sometimes repeatedly and often and vocally)

and have now been frustratingly stuck waiting to hear back to take advantage of the best mobile deal in the country....

... I am pleased to finally report as follow-up to my 48 earlier posts (i.e. and offer a single data point) that after approximately 72 hours, I did hear back from Saray_O  (I'm intentionally not tagging them to not clutter their workload any further), and my account was created, and I now have full access to text, voice and data... including with phone numbers outside of the Public Mobile network.

I did not attempt to port my Koodo number at any point, and am not sure that I will try at this point, given that there are people who have been waiting longer than me ( @goranwong@J_Wig to name but two examples), and who have at last check, not yet been helped.  To Public Mobile: a queue structure really does mean first-in, first-out.

At no point (unlike some apologists here who've blamed the victim: I'm looking at you @Garry posting in reply to 'Pause the Promo?') was any of it my fault: having dealt with the internet for 22 years, and with degrees in mathematics and physics, I'm pretty good at filling out a web form with meticulous attention to detail.  And in fact there was no error on my part, because when it did get resolved finally, I did not need to actually change any account settings and my phone services started working.

Some general comments to Public Mobile (and apologists):

- Billing a new customer without account creation/login capability is point-blank unheard of in modern e-commerce.  Furthermore, technically, I don't believe I was given the chance to accept the terms of service (because I had to accept them again when I was able to finally create the new account after resolution), and so a legally binding contract had not yet been formed; therefore the billing at minumum is wildly inappropriate and legally dubious.  (Oh, and @Rockdaddy22:  please learn the difference between libel and slander, and unlike in the U.S. where a corporation has the legal rights of a person, you can't libel a corporation.  I named no individual.)

- Proper non-form reply communication is woefully lacking.  Your overworked mods (one working apparently part-time on the weekend) defaulted to standard/canned responses to only the most provocative posts stating that workloads were very high, response times would be delayed, etc. without providing any specifics.  This is reminiscent of airlines when there is a weather delay: this is not the way to build customer loyalty and support.  As the backlog appears(?) to be clearing now that we've reached Monday and staff levels have returned to normal (moral: never create a new account on Friday morning), I feel most sorry for our mods who then bear the brunt of the often legitimate anger.

- A simple Google search will reveal that these specific type of activation problems (that don't involve another phone company) date back over a year.  This points to a problem with the database/server backend that remains unresolved.  Everybody (customers, community support, moderators) could be better served (present and future), by escalating this issue to the appropriate software person.

All this said, I will try to continue to remain active on this 'Community' (I posted 48 times this weekend and worry that I finally got my issue resolved potentially ahead of others because of well, 'squeaky wheel gets the grease'), and try to provide support for those who continue to be trapped in Activation Purgatory.

47 REPLIES 47

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
@Bern I suggest starting my own thread on the morning if this isn't resolved by then.

KirkK

@Hmm:  Both links are needed, the one RockDaddy lists (for content to enclose when private messaging the moderators) and this one (which includes the moderators):

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/All-you-need-to-know-about-our-Communit...

But this thread itself is getting pretty old.

Hmm

^ The link needs updating. It makes reference to contacting the mods but no mods are listed in the thread. 

Bern
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
I am day 6 - text still not working. Viewed account - its being paid for. Incoming & outgoing Phone works - but not text. Fustrating.

Rockdaddy22
That's awesome news, thanks for the update.

jenifer
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I finally got my account activated today!!!  yay!!  I never did get a response to my private messages nor an email through their contact us on the website.  I read on another thread about someone successfully had their activation problems resolved by sending a tweet to PM.  Last night I created a twitter account to try to get their attention on twitter and it worked!  Maybe they are differently staffed?  Either way, happy I've escaped the "activation failed" purgatory.  

KirkK

@Rockdaddy22 Indeed.  I'm noting your small 'p' president.  As the ancient Chinese proverb (curse) goes, "May you live in interesting times."

Rockdaddy22
I feel like I'm in the twilight zone with president Trump 😞

KirkK

@daredogg:  cue twilight zone music.  But fine:  the state of not being activated is like being on a hidden 3-brane while fully activated is like being on the visible world's 3-brane, and limbo state is an open string state with endpoints on each of the two branes and otherwise spanning the higher dimensional 4 space between the 3-branes.

Happy?  You brought out the inner string theorist. 😜

jenifer

happy for you to be activated!  hopefully they'll get to Friday ppl soon....

...or maybe in another dimension @KirkK?! Robot surprised

Welcome @Brizz13 glad you're finally aboard!

KirkK

@Brizz13:  YAY!  Welcome to Public Mobile.  You have left purgatory, and are now in cellular plan heaven  (at least in Canada).

Brizz13

I just had my account activated as we speak from Thursday night. 

FINALLY!

Thanks PM, I know its not the MOD's fault

Rockdaddy22
Private messages go into a poll so it doesn't matter whose online. Some people have waited days t have private messages read, so please be patient. You could get lucky though, let's hope.

jenifer

@daredogg and @KirkK  thank you both for your comments and suggestions!  I have sent another private message to one of the moderators that appear to be online at the moment.  Hope to hear back soon from someone.  At this point, I'd be happy if they got back to me with a wait time or a number in the queue!  

...and @jenifer may I suggest you check out who's online before you tag someone? Look for the moderator with a 0 idle time, which should indicate they're actively posting.

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/forums/usersonlinepage

There are 4 moderators Shazia_K, Mary_M, Saray_O, and Caroline_D started officially on Monday. 

As KirkK has mentioned, maybe you'll luck out with quicker service. On the grand scheme of things, even though 4 days is unnacceptable, there are probably others that have been waiting longer. Quite a few of the 'squeaky wheels' got their issues dealt with yesterday, so there's some hope on the horizon! Good luck and hope to be welcoming you to PM soon!

KirkK

@jenifer:  sounds like you're doing everything right, but (and?). I don't think it would hurt to start a new thread, and ping out another private message to (another?) moderator.  Use a provocative title, as I seemed to get replies from the moderators first before I got replies to my private messages.  

It's looking like a single private message to a single moderator is currently not working, and some persistence (not just patience, which I sorely lack when my credit card gets charged) may be necessary.

jenifer

I have the exact same issue with activation failure but credit card was charged.  I sent a private message on Friday Nov 4th to request help. I have been waiting patiently as I know decreased service levels on weekends.  I have also sent in an email through the contact us yesterday.  I have been reading different threads where people with the same issue reported yesterday have already gotten resolved today?  Do I need to start a new thread in order to have my issue looked at?  Doesn't seem like there is a queue.  Thank you KirkK for sharing your thoughts and experience. Back to waiting patiently.  I suppose at least I still have service with Bell but it is rather frustrating paying for two services at the same time. 

@J_Wig I think the rationale was that there were so many failed port posts floating around that this user took it upon themselves to show that a lot of people were also having successful ports. Your insurance company also celebrated, saying yay, we don't have to dish money out today! Robot wink

leafian

Halleujah!

I got a facebook message that they finished the activation and pushed my port through again.

I can finally login to my account!!!

It shows $118 outstanding. Am I supposed to pay now since my credit card was not charged?

J_Wig

It speaks volumes when someone has to make a post of success storys like its something other than whats expected for a paying customer, that shouldnt be news, that should be the norm. Oh by the way I drove to work today and didn't crash.... yay me.

daredogg
Mayor / Maire

There was a Successful Ports Thread started by @outdoorsaddix back on Friday. Someone should instead start a Failed Ports & Activations Thread where people post what the reason was for their failed port or activation. Of course you'd only figure out the reason once your issue was resolved. But what I want to know is which category you fall into:

1. User error (you entered inaccurate info causing the failed activation or port)
  2. System error (there was nothing wrong that you did, but the system failed)

I'm curious about this, because there are enough people having success from all different carriers. Are some people not being careful, or is it really that at certain times the system is overloaded?

J_Wig
@hereforthedeal no I can't try again as it says I'm already in the system when I try and re register. Well and truly stuck in purgatory. My sim is active on the pm network but nothing else is working.

hereforthedeal

@J_WigCan't you just try again if it is an activation issue? I am trying to port, and I can't recieve calls, but some things work, so I can't start over. I submitted a form on Friday night, a PM on the forum to Mary on Sunday morning, I haven't heard anything yet.I'm getting worried/ 

KirkK

Yes got those same messages.  That will fix itself when the mod fixes your activation, and you will get a new message confirming for example your autopay.  the fundamental issue is the activation/account creation itself.

J_Wig
Yes, can't make or receive calls, or text. No data. I get a message saying not incl in my plan. Cant log on to self serve. Can't re register for self serve.

KirkK

@J_Wig:  okay, if I recall in my moderator observation shazia was not here on Friday, Saturday or Sunday, and I think it is becoming evident that the moderators do not receive all (any?) of the private messages of the other moderators (it's private to them do) unlike what was claimed by the Jeremy post describing general contact information.

So if you have not private messaged mary_m and saray_o do so, but I imagine you already have.  I did hear back from both.

hereforthedeal

@J_Wig are you still waiting for porting/activation?

J_Wig
@KirkK at least you see me haha.
My first message was to shazia_k on Nov 2nd after waiting 2 days following the contact us route.. It was shown as read on Nov 3rd.

Need Help? Let's chat.