cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to do something about the PM spam problem on this forum

DavidO
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@CS_Agent 

The amount of PM spam on this forum is way too high. It is time to start being proactive instead of reactive.  Saying "we can't do anything about it, just report it" does not cut it.

Other forums that use the same platform (Khoros) have implemented measures to limit the amount of spam/scam messages.  One popular solution is blocking users from sending private messages to non-staff until they reach a certain rank.

Other solutions may also exist.  The technical capabilities are there, it just takes the will to start using them.

24 REPLIES 24

@Zyl wrote:

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

@DavidO You can turn off private messages. 

How do you turn off private messages?  And also, how do you turn it back on if you need to send private messages to Customer Agents of Public Mobile here? 

@Zyl 

You can do it here: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/user-preferences:private-messe...

Disable "Turn on private messages"

Comm-PrivateMessage.png

Zyl
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
Spoiler

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

@Zyl No one needs to send you private messages except a CSA.  The setting is called Private Messenger in your Community settings

Not really.  Sometimes when you have been carrying on a conversation discussing something on the forum and you want to exchange something private with a particular member that you really don't want to share with everybody on the forum, you might choose to use Private Message to talk to that particular community. 

Have done that before.   

@Zyl No one needs to send you private messages except a CSA.  The setting is called Private Messenger in your Community settings.

Zyl
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

How do you turn off private messages?  And also, how do you turn it back on if you need to send private messages to Customer Agents of Public Mobile here?  And if you have the private messages off, what if someone needs to send you private messages?  Would those private messages be saved for you and be sent to you once you turn the private message back on or would they be lost?  I guess they will be lost otherwise there would be no point in turning off private messages?  

Thanks 

@DavidO wrote:

@softech wrote:

@DavidO wrote:

Yes, I can also permanently turn off my phone to avoid scam calls, but for some reason it does not strike me as the optimal solution.

Are you talking about scam calls on the phone or spam message in the Community inbox?  they are two different things..

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/analogy

Cool if that is the case

Then you are still talking about the same thing.  Thanks for clarifying

DavidO

@softech wrote:

@DavidO wrote:

Yes, I can also permanently turn off my phone to avoid scam calls, but for some reason it does not strike me as the optimal solution.

Are you talking about scam calls on the phone or spam message in the Community inbox?  they are two different things..

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/analogy

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

@softech wrote:

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

@softech wrote:

@DavidO wrote:

scam calls is part of our daily life unfortunately.  iPhone have  ways to block unknown callers on the device level.  CRTC has mandated providers to help stop caller id spoofing and that is  supposed to kick in this week.   Other than that, PM does not have other mean to block spam calls.  

if that really concern you, check with Koodo or Telus as they have Call Control feature to reduce unwanted calls

Read the OP. 

@CountyDownIeUk   ??   I did read OP ..both original post and the following reply

OP original posting was talking about Forum message (Khoros).. but then another reply was talking about scam calls

OP Means the ORIGINAL POST and here it is.  It refers to post in this forum. 

A1B47BA2-85F2-4F22-B435-53DFBDC2972A.jpeg

@CountyDownIeUk  following post means this one..    

softech_0-1638207413681.png

OP ( can also mean Original Poster) also replied with this and hence I was asking why OP was jumping from one topic to another.. Scam calls.. I don't think OP refers that to message in Community inbox  I did quote OP's follow up reply clearly in my earlier reply to OP as well

@softech wrote:

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

@softech wrote:

@DavidO wrote:

scam calls is part of our daily life unfortunately.  iPhone have  ways to block unknown callers on the device level.  CRTC has mandated providers to help stop caller id spoofing and that is  supposed to kick in this week.   Other than that, PM does not have other mean to block spam calls.  

if that really concern you, check with Koodo or Telus as they have Call Control feature to reduce unwanted calls

Read the OP. 

@CountyDownIeUk   ??   I did read OP ..both original post and the following reply

OP original posting was talking about Forum message (Khoros).. but then another reply was talking about scam calls

OP Means the ORIGINAL POST and here it is.  It refers to post in this forum. 

A1B47BA2-85F2-4F22-B435-53DFBDC2972A.jpeg

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@DavidO wrote:

@CS_Agent 

The amount of PM spam on this forum is way too high. It is time to start being proactive instead of reactive.  Saying "we can't do anything about it, just report it" does not cut it.

Other forums that use the same platform (Khoros) have implemented measures to limit the amount of spam/scam messages.  One popular solution is blocking users from sending private messages to non-staff until they reach a certain rank.

Other solutions may also exist.  The technical capabilities are there, it just takes the will to start using them.

I see people talking about SPAM messages and I think I may have gotten 2 in my 5 years here.

As for your solution it has been brought to PM many times by Oracles that this would be an easy way to fix many things.  You could have all users not be able to PM anyone but a certain group until a certain post count and/or time in the community, and you could restrict the posting abilities of troublesome users so that they can also only send messages to staff members.  The creation of user groups with these settings shouldn't be to hard to set up.

I have received 3 in past 2 weeks.  So is becoming a PITA. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DavidO 

if you getting from public mobile in Private Messages go in the lower left corner Report ...and after that someone from CSA, will contact to you by Private Messages,

if you getting to your phone call or SMS just ignore and delete and block...

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

@softech wrote:

@DavidO wrote:

Read the OP. 

@softech wrote:

@DavidO wrote:

Read the OP. 

@DavidO 

I agree 100% that public mobile should be more proactive when it comes to spammers. I saw them again last night creating new community accounts and sending out thousands of spam messages. After 6 months of dutifully recording the spammers and reporting them to customer support and posting their usernames in the thread "CAUTION!!..... MORE SPAMMERS! Ultimately pm has not changed its approach in how it deals with them.

However it does seem that the more you participate in the community the less likely you are likely to be spammed by these users.

@softech wrote:

@DavidO   curious, how many you get ?

I am not getting much personally.  I did have one or two occasionally, but not many at all.  I would say, less than 5 a month for sure.

That’s 5 too many. I was on another site and never had any. There must be a way to put “first posts” in suspension until an oracle reads and releases it for public reading. Otherwise new user would be removed  permanently. 

@esjliv wrote:

@DavidO wrote:

@CS_Agent 

@DavidO  your observation and frustration is not unfounded.

Just like spam calling and spam emails (gmail/outlook, etc...) is annoying and/or potentially hazardous, spam/scam Private Messages to Public Mobile Inbox can be too; and hopefully one day PM will implement something to prevent/reduce these.

But, they are also easy to ignore, reject and delete will little time spent.

Customer's feedback can be integral for change; and you make good points that have been mentioned by others before.

Maybe you hear back from CS_Agent 🤞with positive reply?

There are many things with Public Mobile Community/Self Serve/Accessibility that could use improvement that, in my opinion, should probably take priority.

But, never stop wanting/suggesting improvements, or none may likely take place.

Perhaps if “ignore” worked that would be an “after” option. But useless as well. 

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

That is a band aid resolution and a very poor option. You need it ON  if you have a problem and need to communicate with an agent. 

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@DavidO wrote:

@CS_Agent 

I see people talking about SPAM messages and I think I may have gotten 2 in my 5 years here.

As for your solution it has been brought to PM many times by Oracles that this would be an easy way to fix many things.  You could have all users not be able to PM anyone but a certain group until a certain post count and/or time in the community, and you could restrict the posting abilities of troublesome users so that they can also only send messages to staff members.  The creation of user groups with these settings shouldn't be to hard to set up.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Those 2 comparisons are apples and oranges @DavidO 

Under your community account settings you can completely disable private messaging. This way you won't get any private messages. It's a simple fix if you're getting scam messages on your community private message box.

If you're getting them on your phone, a solution is to NEVER answer any calls from numbers/people you either don't recognize or are not on your contact list.  It can be difficult to ignore a call, but you will get used to it.  

If the person calling you needs you that badly, they will leave a voice message; if they don't bother leaving one, you likely didn't need to hear from them in the first place.

IF YOU DO ANSWER, and the caller is a spammer, it's likely your number will get logged as one which will get answered, so anticipate spam calling to increase (at least in the short term).

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Two things 

1. Spam msgs in community forum - There should be a checkbox facility to select msgs and delete in bulk, not opening each msg delete then confirm.

2. Spam calls on the phone - Koodo Telus's call control can be borrowed for PM network too. It really works for Bot-calling.

@DavidO wrote:

DavidO

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@DavidO   curious, how many you get ?

I am not getting much personally.  I did have one or two occasionally, but not many at all.  I would say, less than 5 a month for sure.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@DavidO wrote:

@CS_Agent 

@DavidO  your observation and frustration is not unfounded.

Just like spam calling and spam emails (gmail/outlook, etc...) is annoying and/or potentially hazardous, spam/scam Private Messages to Public Mobile Inbox can be too; and hopefully one day PM will implement something to prevent/reduce these.

But, they are also easy to ignore, reject and delete will little time spent.

Customer's feedback can be integral for change; and you make good points that have been mentioned by others before.

Maybe you hear back from CS_Agent 🤞with positive reply?

There are many things with Public Mobile Community/Self Serve/Accessibility that could use improvement that, in my opinion, should probably take priority.

But, never stop wanting/suggesting improvements, or none may likely take place.

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

Need Help? Let's chat.