Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text re refund from 236-889 1730

finbarr
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I got a text from 236-889 1730 saying

"
Due to a billing error on your phone bill, we sent you a refund.
To deposit your funds, click on the link below: xxxhttp://saferefguishsecudrop.com/
"

it looks somewhat suspicious, like someone phishing for my bank details . . . can anyone tell me if it's normal or OK ?
If there was going to be a refund I'd kindof just expect it to be recredited to my account. . .

thanks
10 REPLIES 10

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@cricketfan I better send him my bank account info so he can process the transfer!  I don't want to miss out!  😄

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi finbarr,

Thank you for contacting Public Mobile.

This seems to have all the signs of a SMiShing (SMS phishing).  This is a form of phishing, SMiShing occurs when a fraudster sends you an SMS/text message asking you to provide sensitive, personal, and/or financial information via a Web link and false website, or via a telephone number.  

Here are some general tips to share with your end users to help them from falling victim to SMiShing.

• Avoid clicking links within text messages, especially if they are sent from someone you don't know. But, be aware that attack messages can appear to come from someone you do know, so think before you click.
  • Don't respond to text messages that request private or financial information from you.
  • If you get a message that appears to be from your bank, financial institution, or other entity that you do business with, contact that business directly to determine if they sent you a legitimate request. Review this entity's policy on sending text messages to customers.
  • Beware of messages that have a number that says it is from "5000" or some other number that is not a cell number. Scammers often mask their identity by using email-to-text services to avoid revealing their actual phone number.
  • If a text message is urging you to act or respond quickly, stop and think about it. Remember that criminals use this as a tactic to get you to do what they want.
  • Never reply to a suspicious text message without doing your research and verifying the source. If your bank is really going to cancel your credit card, you should be able to call the number on the back of your card to discuss this matter with them.
  • Never call a phone number from an unknown texter.

finbarr, I hope that I was able to assist you with your request and that my resolution meets your expectations.

Respectfully,  

Bladimir R.

cricketfan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The nigerian prince wants you to have his inhertance money. 😄 lol

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Sounds like free money to me!  Why not go put in all your personal info and see how much you get?  Win-win!

[ PS this was a joke Robot LOL ]

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Good to let others know so they dont fall into that trap.

Didnt know scammers are now targetting phone companies as well

very obviously a scam

If there really were some type of billing error, a company would just issue the refund without any need to interact with the customer.  That message is just an attempt to steal information such as account information and passwords.

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire

yep , it is a scam

Its a phishing link, dont click it. I ocassionaly got texts from BMO about account issues, but i dont bank with BMO

finbarr
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I had to put xxx before the link in the text so that the forum would allow me to post it, the xxx wasn't in the original

Need Help? Let's chat.