cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text Attachments won't send or receive on Wifi but will with Data on

Import_from_NS
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've searched these forums and while there are similar issues none are quite the same. 

I have the $25 plan - unlimited text with attachments, Canada wide calling plus 1GB data (500 MG from the plan plus a bonus 500MG from auto pay). 

I *USED TO HAVE* an older 4 year old Android phone - a Samsung - as did son #1. Both of us had the same individual plan on Public Mobile. Each time we sent or received a text attachment, it would never load on Wifi and we had to turn on our Data, the attachment would send/arrive, and then we could turn our data back off and return to using Wifi. Annoying and inconvenient but manageable.  

Whenever we sent a text attachment, the image shows on our end but a pop up message stating "Mobile data is disabled. This will be send when data is enabled." would be displayed and the little circle would spin and spin trying to send it until our data plan was on, then it would instantly send. 

Whenever we received a text attachment, the image didn't display on our end but a grey box would show with the text "No subject Message Size ###KB Expires : TIME, DATE" with the downward pointing arrow associated with download icons and it says MMS alongside the grey box with this information. 

We assumed because it was our first time having data that it was either a PM restriction and part of opting for a more affordable provider, or that our phones didn't have the up to date technology to just deliver/send without having to flip data on and off. Son #2 who had a 2 year old Samsung Android with a different provider with no data - he could send/receive text attachments over Wifi without problems which just confirmed in my mind it was cell service provider or old technology issue.  

When son  #2's phone was paid off, I then switched him to Public Mobile so he could have a small amount of data too. He has the same plan as I and son #1 have. I was expecting him to potentially have this issue with text attachments but he did not. His phone continued to work as it had with the prior cell provider. So logically, at this point, I knew that it's not a Public Mobile service problem. Two of us have to turn data on to receive and send text attachments, one of us who has a newer phone does not have to do this and can send/receive attachments seamlessly using either Wifi and Data (which ever he happens to be on at the time). And, he was able to do this over Christmas when he was home from Uni, using the same Wifi network that son #1 and I use. At this point, I was leaning towards the difference being Son #1 and I having older cellphones and son #2 having a newer phone. 

Still with me? 

Christmas time is coming to and end and 2020 flips me the bird by killing my cellphone entirely  and it dies a death that it won't recover from and I buy a nice new Andriod - A Samsung S20 FE. This phone has been out for maybe 3 months. It's newer than a new born child. It's up to date. It's not an entry level cell phone like all those of my past have been. 

And I still have to turn on my data to send or receive a text message! 

So why? It has to be a setting in my phone but which one? I'm slowly going insane. 

29 REPLIES 29

Reach
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

End of story. Thanks for the information computergeek541. Much appreciated.

@Reach wrote:

Great story but the ending was lacking. I have the exact same problem and was hoping for the solution that sadly, did not come. Now, almost two years later, you might have moved on to a new phone or a new provider, but I'm still stuck. Not a huge deal to turn on data when needed, but it's one of those niggling nuisances that I would like to be rid of. Any new insights would be appreciated.

There isn't any that can be fixed in this situation. Text messages (SMS) and multimedia messages (MMS) cannot be sent through Wi-Fi. The specification doesn't allow it. People who do send messages and pictures using the internet are using a different protocol.

Hi @Reach give us more info

Are you on iPhone?  sound like you might be sending iMessge which needs data to transmit by design.    Let us know and we can give you trick to make it send as SMS or MMS  instead

Reach
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Great story but the ending was lacking. I have the exact same problem and was hoping for the solution that sadly, did not come. Now, almost two years later, you might have moved on to a new phone or a new provider, but I'm still stuck. Not a huge deal to turn on data when needed, but it's one of those niggling nuisances that I would like to be rid of. Any new insights would be appreciated.

Import_from_NS

@HALIMACS wrote:

I admittedly don't know alot about it's functionality, @Import_from_NS , but there is a Chat feature within Messaging that allows me to send and receive MMS-like message to others who also have that feature.

Interesting. I did not know this. I'll go and investigate what my settings say vs my son's and see if that's the difference. Thank you.

Import_from_NS

@Korth wrote:

@Import_from_NS 

MMS attachments can be seen in Self-Serve usage. They're each reported as an "MMS Event" which consumes 0.00MB of your billable data provision. Yes, they use cellular data. But it's paid for by the carrier instead of by your Plan and Add-ons.

So they're sent over cellular data. They won't work across wifi data. That's how it's set up on the network, there's no way around it. You can leave cellular data off and just turn it on when needing to send or receive MMS if you prefer - undelivered MMS attachments are held in a sort of network message box for a while and the apps always provide a onscreen "try again" clicky for pending uploads/downloads.

There are settings in the phone software which enable/disable cellular data. Which prefer (or not prefer) wifi data when it's available. Which allow/disallow permissions for each app. Which allow/disallow background data/updates/cloud/sync.

The dialer and messaging software built into any particular phone might UI-lock some of these settings. If this is a problem then you can install other dialer/messaging apps of your choosing. I prefer Signal SMS.

iMessage (on iOS) and RCS (on Google Androids) extend normal SMS/MMS functionality and invariably require cellular data to operate properly. They usually have a setting which disables their fancy new features and forces compatibility with standard SMS/MMS protocols. And, again, they can be replaced with other apps if they're not working properly.

If your son can get MMS attachments working on his phone then he can probably get them working on your phone.

Okay - that's a lot of information - but great information - that is above my knowledge.  I think I understand it all - particularly the turning on and off data and the holding of MMS when data isn't on because that's what's happening to attachments now.

I'm going to work my way throught the various settings you mentioned to see if any of those resolve the issue. Thank you for taking the time to explain this and type it all out.

I admittedly don't know alot about it's functionality, @Import_from_NS , but there is a Chat feature within Messaging that allows me to send and receive MMS-like message to others who also have that feature.

Import_from_NS

@HALIMACS wrote:

I do know that unless you're using a chat-like option as I have with my Android, or iMessage with Apple, attachments to messages will not send nor be able to be received unless data is enabled.

What do you mean by "chat-like option"? Are you referring to apps like FB messenger or Snapchat which deliver Messages to connections within those apps often having usernames between the connected parties vs Text Messenger which delivers to any contact using their cell phone number?

Or is there a chat-like *option* in text messaging that I'm unaware of that has it's own settings?

@Import_from_NS 

MMS attachments can be seen in Self-Serve usage. They're each reported as an "MMS Event" which consumes 0.00MB of your billable data provision. Yes, they use cellular data. But it's paid for by the carrier instead of by your Plan and Add-ons.

So they're sent over cellular data. They won't work across wifi data. That's how it's set up on the network, there's no way around it. You can leave cellular data off and just turn it on when needing to send or receive MMS if you prefer - undelivered MMS attachments are held in a sort of network message box for a while and the apps always provide a onscreen "try again" clicky for pending uploads/downloads.

There are settings in the phone software which enable/disable cellular data. Which prefer (or not prefer) wifi data when it's available. Which allow/disallow permissions for each app. Which allow/disallow background data/updates/cloud/sync.

The dialer and messaging software built into any particular phone might UI-lock some of these settings. If this is a problem then you can install other dialer/messaging apps of your choosing. I prefer Signal SMS.

iMessage (on iOS) and RCS (on Google Androids) extend normal SMS/MMS functionality and invariably require cellular data to operate properly. They usually have a setting which disables their fancy new features and forces compatibility with standard SMS/MMS protocols. And, again, they can be replaced with other apps if they're not working properly.

If your son can get MMS attachments working on his phone then he can probably get them working on your phone.

I could be wrong, @Import_from_NS ,  however I believe the messaging system will automatically select whether a message is to be sent in Standard vs Multimedia mode based on the type of content within the message.

I do know that unless you're using a chat-like option as I have with my Android, or iMessage with Apple, attachments to messages will not send nor be able to be received unless data is enabled.

Import_from_NS

@HALIMACS wrote

Could Messaging 'chat' settings be enabled on any of the respective devices causing differences amongst them?  In my situation, having chat settings on caused unexpected results when me and another person tried it...

I am thinking it has to be a setting too although I do see that @kb_mv said that she's experienced both situations with different cell phone models so maybe it's simply not a standard function. 

I just had a brief look at the Chat Settings - there's not a lot to be fair and nothing obvious. Unfortunately son #2 who has the seamless flow of attachments is back to his Uni out of Province so we can't sit side by side and compare settings. 

My good friend Google, who I asked repeatedly with both my old phone and this one suggests its something to do with SMS vs MMS settings but I'm unclear what the difference between SMS and MMS and where there's a setting that toggles from one format to the other. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Except it only works on a desktop browser. Not even desktop mode on this one.

Import_from_NS

@kb_mv wrote:

@Import_from_NS wrote:

As a side question - how do you include quotes of the comment you're answering in your post. It's so much clearer what you are responding to. 

@Import_from_NS When you hit reply and the new window opens, look top right for 3 dots

like this  ...

Click these and the top bar expands. Then select the quotation marks.

Well darn. That's useful. Thank you.

Dare I weigh in on this topic which is beyond my pay grade?

I'll be honest, I'm only 1/2 following the thread...  it does sound like a curious difference in services which at first glance is unusual.

Could Messaging 'chat' settings be enabled on any of the respective devices causing differences amongst them?  In my situation, having chat settings on caused unexpected results when me and another person tried it...

@Import_from_NS wrote:

As a side question - how do you include quotes of the comment you're answering in your post. It's so much clearer what you are responding to. 

@Import_from_NS When you hit reply and the new window opens, look top right for 3 dots

like this  ...

Click these and the top bar expands. Then select the quotation marks.

Import_from_NS

@kb_mv - Okay, that's good to know. Being newer to data (I have worked from home for over a decade so never needed/had data before) I don't tend to leave it on as I stream TV using my cell and use FB a shameful amount of times a day and didn't want my data sucked up but it was on when I was home and the Wifi available. 

@Import_from_NS Hopefully someone with a new S20FE will chime in. In the meantime, turn your data on. MMS use doesn't count towards your data limits. Restrict background data, turn off wifi assist, select update over wifi only and join known wifi networks (home/work). I have 2 phones with 250MB data and doing this I never come close to running out.

Import_from_NS

@kb_mv

Mayor / Maire - But I've been through them and can't find it. I was hoping someone here would
know what the setting is. I'm going in circles.

@Import_from_NS wrote:

Perfect. What's the setting? LOL 

@Import_from_NS If it's possible, it's probably somewhere in your messaging app settings or the Network settings if I had to guess.

Import_from_NS

Perfect. What's the setting? LOL 

Import_from_NS

No. He has a Galaxy S (something) I justs texted to ask him the exact model. 

I had a J7 (2016) but now have a S20 FE.

@Import_from_NSYou don't have to have a data plan to send and receive MMS. You DO need to have data turned on, or a setting on your phone that tells it to turn onn/off automatically for MMS.

As for why your $1000 can't do it, thats a question for the manufacturer.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Next time you're watching it happen, watch for the little icon up top indicating that data is on for that brief moment it transmits. Then it goes off again.

I miss the feature too but I don't know a way to repeat it.

Import_from_NS

@kb_mv 

Right - now we are getting somewhere. Because like you, I've seen Andriod phones on the PM network send and receive text attachments when the have no data plan as well and when they do have data but it's turned off and the user is connected to Wifi only. (i.e. son #2's phone)

So, certain models have the ability to send/receive seamlessly and some don't? And if that's the case, why wouldn't a new mobile, almost $1k phone have the functionality to do it?

@Import_from_NS Is your phone the same as your son's? As indicated by @Anonymous , some phones do it automatically, others will not. New or old. If you have the same phone, go through the settings with him and compare.

Import_from_NS

@Gunner123 

I do indeed have to turn on data But that's my issue - it's not true of all Public Mobile customers. Son #2, also a Public Mobile customer with the same plan I have does not have to turn on data to send or receive attachments. He can do it seemlessly on the Wifi. I watched him do it. I gave him the death stare because I am paying for his cell plan while he's in Uni and he can use it in ways I cannot use my own. 

It has to be a setting. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

My older S7 flipped in/out of cell data automatically. My new A31 does not.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Import_from_NS Ummm isn't sending text message attachments (MMS) done over data and not wifi? You need data turned on for it to work. It doesn't count towards your limit of data. Wifi could send messages using the new RCS (iMessage equivalent for Android).

Gunner123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Import_from_NS hi you need data on to send or receive an mms message for both parties to send or receive an image 

Need Help? Let's chat.