cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tangerine Mastercard Autopay

warrenspencer27
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I am having difficulties registering my Tangerine mastercard for Autopay.  I have confirmed that all my details (card number, address, etc) are correct, however I receive the following error when attempting to register:

Unable to Process Transaction Sorry, your credit card transaction was denied by your card issuer, so this purchase could not be completed. Your credit card has not been charged. Please contact your card issuer for more information.

I have contacted Tangerine and they have told me that as far as they can tell the zero dollar charges that public mobile is charging to test the card appear to be going through (ie they are not being declined) and all my other information, such as address is accurate with what they have on file.  I have also seen other people having similar issues on the forum:

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Tangerine-MasterCard-Unsupported/m-p/91475...

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Payment-Method-Glitch/td-p/67889

however there has been no solution provided to either thread other than use a different card (which will soon not be an option for me).

I am flabbergasted that this issue could exist specifically for Tangerine credit cards, and rather disappointed in the lack of a workaround/any moderator commentary on the previous threads.

Is there any way to know if PublicMobile is even aware of this issue?  Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what the issue might be here or any potential workarounds?

28 REPLIES 28

@Milo99- Yes, I give a kudo to Public for making card entry vastly easier in this new system. It just needs a postal code now. Unlike the old system.

Milo99
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Yes I understand that it is from 2016. As it says in my message since Telus took over myself and my wifes Tangerine debit/credit cards DO NOT work. I was on the autopay plan but every month it rejects my card and I have to go to the store and get a voucher. Then tonight I was trying to upgrade my plan to the next level but again it rejects the card. 

Actually an update... while I was typing this my wife was able to get her Tangerine card working. I will try and re-enter the card info again (but I attempted to do this in the past but it did not work). I will keep you posted.

@Milo99- This topic is from 5.5 years ago. Are you having trouble using Tangerine? Or trying to change your plan? Using Tangerine to pay for a change plan now? What have you been with all this time?

Milo99

Yes, I hear you. I have had the same issue since Telus bought this company. Today was the final straw for me. I am trying to upgrade my plan and it won't work. I realized I am jumping through hoops trying to give this company my money. You don't want my money? fineI will be changing phone providers tomorrow I am not dealing with this anymore. The fact that this post is marked as SOLVED when it is NOT on Aug 30th 2022 is what made me make this final decision.

LorrieB: There are some definitions here. Public is not set up for internet banking from the bank side. Public is not set up as a recurring kind of bill either. But as mentioned, you should be able to set up your card in the Public system to do autopay.

warrenspencer27

Hey Lorrie,

It has been years since I dealt with this, but I did end up getting it working with my tangerine card

I believe that my issue was due to my apartment number; if my memory serves I was entering it into an apartment field in public mobiles form, where it actually had to be entered as "123 - 456 street ..." In the address field

LorrieB

Hi - I just got off the phone with a Tangerine representative and he confirmed that Tangerine can't be set up for Public Mobile. He suggested that I contact Public Mobile to have them correct it at their end, but I don't see that as my job. For now, I will leave my Public Mobile payments on my other VISA card, but I'm disappointed that I can't use Tangerine for the auto-payment. Did you get any assurances that it will be available any time in the future?

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Jarvar wrote:

Thanks @ute1978 for the feedback. Do you know perchance how long that has been?

It has been 0.5% since the beginning when I signed up with Public Mobile 2.5 years ago.

Jarvar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Thanks @ute1978 for the feedback. Do you know perchance how long that has been? I remember with Netflix. I think the first payment was not considered a recurring bill, but all the subsequent ones counted towards it. Then again, if there isn't some proper "code" Tangerine mentioned then even if the bill reoccurs it will not receive the correct 2% cashback which is unfortunate.

ute1978

@Jarvar wrote:

Although I have heard that Public Mobile doesn’t seem to work as a recurring bill which is what I was hoping to do.

I can confirm Public Mobile Autopay is only 0.5% for Tangerine (it does not count as recurring bill for the 2%).

Jarvar

Thanks @Rockdaddy22 for looking out for me. I read earlier that someone mentioned those charges pending on their account. Fortunately mine didn’t do that. Although I have heard that Public Mobile doesn’t seem to work as a recurring bill which is what I was hoping to do. If that”s the case, it’s not such a big deal. I think my Capital One MasterCard is 1.5% cashback. It would be good for me to still resolve the issue of adding Tangerine Mastercard as my Autopay eventually though. It’ss just not that urgent. Maybe it just takes a while for the address updates to be reflected after I save the changes.

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

So they should definitely check pending transactions just in case. 

ute1978

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:

You should call Tangerine and make sure none of those charges actually went through. 

You can see pending transactions right away in the online banking for Tangerine.

Rockdaddy22

@Jarvar wrote:

I know this is an old thread, but I ran into the same problem. I have entered my billing address exactly the same as Tangerine but the credit card won’t process. It refused in the store when I was signing up so I had to use a different card. I would appreciate any tips or help please.

I will try taking th space oout of my postal code on Tangerine and try again.

You should call Tangerine and make sure none of those charges actually went through. 

Jarvar

I know this is an old thread, but I ran into the same problem. I have entered my billing address exactly the same as Tangerine but the credit card won’t process. It refused in the store when I was signing up so I had to use a different card. I would appreciate any tips or help please.

I will try taking th space oout of my postal code on Tangerine and try again.

srlawren

Note to all:  yes, your billing address must match exactly what's shown on your credit card statements.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

rolomonster
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

The fix also worked for me! Although that is not how my address was originally set up, my mailing address on my statement apparently shows up in that format. 

My Tangerine account info shows 123 Happy St Unit# 111. But statement shows 111-123 Happy St. Not using the Public Mobile field for apartment number fixed this issue.

Thanks @warrenspencer27 & @Vickel!

warrenspencer27

@Vickel By jove that's done it!

Moving the apartment number from the Apt # box directly into the address box ex 1234-555 Someroad Dr instead of Address: [555 Someroad Dr] Apt #: [1234] has solved the problem.  @Saray_O Please pass this on to the tech guys, that input box appears to be problematic.

Thanks all for the help!

Vickel

@warrenspencer27

Have you tried putting the address exactly like how it looks on the mail tangerine sends you?

I have tried with 2 MBNA cards and I kept getting the same message as you. I eventually put in the information exactly like on the mail they send me eg. 123 - 45 test street instead of 45 test street apt 123

I think Public mobile's system is looking for the exact info that the card issuers have to match up with what you are inputting.

Hope this helps.

rolomonster

@Saray_O is there anything that can be done through back end from a Mod to correct this issue or do we need to use another card for the time being/purchase vouchers. If we purchase vouchers, can we still receive the Autopay Reward at all?

Any other suggestions would also be much appreciated.

alex-koshelev

Hey @Saray_O,

just wanted to let you know that I am experiencing the same issue with my MBNA MasterCard. I see a lot of transactions with 0 amount posted, but system keeps telling me that card cannot be authorized. 

Saray_O

Hey @warrenspencer27

I'm really sorry about this! We are aware of this issue and we're looking into a way to solve it. I am glad you could pay with your VISA card in the end. 

Thank you for raising this concern, 

Saray 

*Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

All I can suggest is taking out spaces or special characters where you can.

For example, Postal Code A1A 1A1 should be A1A1A1

Telephone numbers should be 10-digit only, ie XXXYYYZZZZ

Ensure you don't have a form filling password program, or a robo-fill type program, automatically inserting wrong information.  Sometimes autofill OVERWRITES other fields without your knowledge if you don't double check before submitting.

I hope these tips help.

rolomonster

I have the same issue with no real resolution either. Some on another thread somewhere have said its just a system glitch that just says Unable to Process Transaction. But the tranactions are going through. I know that I have gotten $0.00 transactions that have gone through on my Tangerine card each time I try and update from my Visa to my Tangerine Mastercard and recieved this message. So no clue what is actually happening.

Although "using another credit card" or "buying vouchers" are a great option for some, it isn't truly a fix to this ongoing issue. Some people only have one credit card, some may find it a hassle to go out to buy vouchers every 3 months (never mind remembering to do it) and some still want to be able to earn their AutoPay credit. Its a service issue that needs to be acknowledged by Public Mobile for their customers. I understand it may not be a MAJOR issue, but it is an issue none the less and it would be great to get acknowledgement that mods are aware of this glitch and if there are any plans to fix this issue.

Mods, please advise.

@Shazia_K

Rockdaddy22
Just buy vouchers from shoppers drug mart, get %3 cashback on PC world elite MasterCard. Much simpler. Some cards also give %2 cashback for pharmacy purchases.

ute1978

Same here. I have the Tangerine MC registered for autopay. No issues here.

XJin

I had no issue with my Tangerine CC when I firs signed up for my account back in July/August, maybe this is a new systerm bug now?

And just FYI, PM's charges do not fall under "Recurring Bill Payment" so only 1% cashback even if you set up this category. So if you have anyother cards with cashback greater than 1%, better to use them. I am using my MBNA Rewards WE which has 2% on everything.

u-usama

Take Heart you are not alone, same is true for HSBC mastercard and RBC Visa. Apparently there is something wrong with Public Mobile system, repeated attempts lead to success.

Hang in there.

Need Help? Let's chat.