cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Talk, text, and Data outside of Canada

Sneville1983
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am currently on a plan with unlimited talk, text, and data while in Canada.

I recently got a job where I will be traveling to the US a fair amount.

If I go into the US while processing the Canada-wide plans, would my phone not work or will I incur something like roaming charges?

I know there are US roaming add-on plans I can get, but I wasn't sure how it would work.

4 REPLIES 4

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Sneville1983 

You might want to consider the TextNow SIM ($4.99) and get free calling and texting on the T-Mobile on 5G network. Unlimited data is for low cost on daily or monthly options.

IMG_0104.jpeg

IMG_0176.png

IMG_0167.png

Or switch to the Canada/USA plan.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Sneville1983   It would be a good idea to check beforehand if your phone is VoLTE (Voice over LTE) capable/enabled otherwise you will need to connect to T-Mobile's 2G network in the US.  (Public Mobile's roaming partners in the US are AT&T and T-Mobile so you need to be able to connect to one or the other).  Since the US has shut down their 3G networks as of last year, a non-VoLTE phone would only be able to do voice calls on T-Mobile's 2G which is itself being shut down on April 2 this year.  Canada still has 3G for now so a non-VoLTE phone may work perfectly here but not in the USA.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Sneville1983 

Without a USA roaming package, you will be able to receive only texts.  Nothing else will work.  You will not be charged extra.  

As mentioned, you could switch to a US-Canada plan if that fits yours needs. 

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hey @Sneville1983 

I would highly suggest changing your plan to the Canada/US plan that way you can use your phone with unlimited everything and no worries about buying add ons and such. Since Public Mobile is a pre paid service, there are never over charges. And since you're on a Canada Only plan, you'd need to buy add ons. Those could get VERY costly. Best to change to Can/US plan.

They have a deal right now. Save $30 if you pay for 90 days at a time. Sweet deal IMO.

https://subscribe.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/activation/plans/60GB-5Gspeed1

If you go this route, change it for the renewal date so you don't lose anything you've already paid for.

When you are there, you'll need to adjust your phone. You'd just need to go to your network settings and pick T-Mobile. Here are the helpful tips.

iPhone - Settings - Network Settings - Mobile Data (make sure it's turned on) - then on same screen, Network Settings - turn off automatic and choose T-Mobile - Then reboot.

Android - Settings - Connections - Mobile Networks - Network Operators - Select Manually - Choose T-Mobile - Reboot phone

Good luck with the new job.

Need Help? Let's chat.