cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System thinks I'm in the US and I'm not

kelco
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I live in Nanaimo on Vancouver Island. When I try to place local calls, the system tells me that I do not have a plan to make the call even though my plan gives me 100 minutes of Canada-wide calling.

The only thing I can think of is that the system thinks I am in the US considering that the 49th parallel runs through Ladysmith, which is midway up the Island (I have had quite a few friends who have had the same problem with other carriers and have been charged roaming charges even though they haven't left Canada).

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what is the work around? Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12

SomeFriend
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

That’s a different story, your very close to the US and signals from American carriers can cross the border and into Canada for a little bit of a distance.

OP has a issue where their phone thinks it’s roaming when it’s nowhere near the US.    There’s no way they are picking up AT&T or T-Mobile (the partnered roaming carriers with Public Mobile) in Nanaimo (unless they are somehow now building towers in Canada, which would be news to me).

Roger3
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

This is a interesting point. This happened to me when I was visiting Niagara Falls. I believe network is assessing me as in US.

kelco

Thanks to you and all who have offered their assistance. I think I have it figured out.

@kelco wrote:

I just place a call to test this and it says "Calling via Telus." I suspect from what you are saying, this should read "Public Mobile." Is that true, or is okay that it says "Telus" considering Telus owns PM and PM uses the Telus system? Thanks again.

@kelco  Again what type of phone do you have? It should say Public Mobile. Are you sure you have the PM sim in the phone?

@kelco wrote:

I just place a call to test this and it says "Calling via Telus." I suspect from what you are saying, this should read "Public Mobile." Is that true, or is okay that it says "Telus" considering Telus owns PM and PM uses the Telus system? Thanks again.

If it says Telus or Public Mobile then all is well. Eventually your phone will say Public Mobile

kelco

@kelco wrote:

Thanks to everyone for your quick responses. I have gone to my settings on my phone, and the only account/carrier that is listed is Telus. Is that Public Mobile, since PM is part of Telus?

@kelco  What type of phone do you have. It should say Public Mobile If you have an Android phone go into settings Network & Internet, Mobile Network, Advanced, Network set it to manual snd select Public Mobile.

I was with Telus up until a month ago, but I removed their SIM card and the only one in the phone is the one from Public Mobile. (And it has to be working because my wife took the phone to Toronto with her and we phoned back and forth with no issues. The phone just isn't working now that she's back here in Nanaimo.)

@kelco  What happens when you dial 611. If you go online is your plan active? 

To be clear, I'm not getting roaming charges or anything like that. I only brought that up because I have had visitors to the Island who have had roaming charges on their phones because the system thinks they are in the US even though they are here on the Island, in Canada. It is their experiences that have led me to believe that this border issue might be the cause of my problem.

@kelco  Public Mobile is strictly a prepaid service so no extra charges ever including roaming. So nothing to worry about.

The problem I am having is not being able to make local calls at all. I ASSUME that is because the system thinks I'm in the US and I don't have a plan that covers international calls. I may be wrong, but that's the only reason I can think of for the phone to say that I don't have an add-on that allows me to make the call I'm trying to make. (Again, to be clear, the calls I'm trying to make are here in the city, so my plan certain does cover them.)

@kelco  Make sure your plan is active (see above) and make sure you are connected to Public Mobile. If you are on a limited call plan make sure you have minutes left. 

You may try the lost/stolen phone trick:

To report your phone stolen. Login to your selfserve account. Choose Plans and Add-ons tab. Choose the Lost/Stolen Phone tab. Choose Suspend Service tab. Wait a few minutes. Report your phone found. Re-start you phone.

If it still an issue notify PM. 

To contact Public Mobile click here. The link  sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Note: Moderator Hours: Monday-Friday 8 am(Eastern) to 12 am (Eastern) and Saturday, and Sunday from 8 am(Eastern) to 10 pm (Eastern).

* Please note that account verification may be required when contacting the Moderator Team *

GR
Mayor / Maire

Like duffer900 asked what's it showing on your phone when it does that? If it says public mobile it means there's something wrong with your plan and you'll have to get the moderators to look at it. 

kelco

Thanks to everyone for your quick responses. I have gone to my settings on my phone, and the only account/carrier that is listed is Telus. Is that Public Mobile, since PM is part of Telus? I was with Telus up until a month ago, but I removed their SIM card and the only one in the phone is the one from Public Mobile. (And it has to be working because my wife took the phone to Toronto with her and we phoned back and forth with no issues. The phone just isn't working now that she's back here in Nanaimo.)

To be clear, I'm not getting roaming charges or anything like that. I only brought that up because I have had visitors to the Island who have had roaming charges on their phones because the system thinks they are in the US even though they are here on the Island, in Canada. It is their experiences that have led me to believe that this border issue might be the cause of my problem.

The problem I am having is not being able to make local calls at all. I ASSUME that is because the system thinks I'm in the US and I don't have a plan that covers international calls. I may be wrong, but that's the only reason I can think of for the phone to say that I don't have an add-on that allows me to make the call I'm trying to make. (Again, to be clear, the calls I'm trying to make are here in the city, so my plan certain does cover them.)

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@kelco wrote:

I live in Nanaimo on Vancouver Island. When I try to place local calls, the system tells me that I do not have a plan to make the call even though my plan gives me 100 minutes of Canada-wide calling.

The only thing I can think of is that the system thinks I am in the US considering that the 49th parallel runs through Ladysmith, which is midway up the Island (I have had quite a few friends who have had the same problem with other carriers and have been charged roaming charges even though they haven't left Canada).

@kelco  My recommendation would be to set you mobile provider manually to Public Mobile on your phone instead of using the auto setting and turning off the roaming setting to avoid connecting to the US towers.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

This could be just a misdialed number.  I have it happen on occasion.

To rule out the US situation, manually select Public Mobile in your network setup - it won't connect to the US towers.

If you are connecting to the US towers, no need to worry, you won't be charged as you won't receive service without adding the US roaming options.

duffer900
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@kelco wrote:

On your device, is it showing Public Mobile as your carrier?

Also, keep in mind, you cannot get Roaming charges EVER on these plans. It just won't work, like it isn't now....

Need Help? Let's chat.