cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching to another mobile provider - how long does it take?

Hadza2
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My new billing cycle on PM starts Sept 6.  I am moving to another mobile provider. 

A couple of questions:

1. How long does the process take?  I want to make sure I am moved before PM bills me for the next month.

2. Does my new provider take care of everything regarding the transition, including notifying PM?  Not sure how it all works. I've never switched carriers before.

3 REPLIES 3

Burdwood
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

In addition to the above: I'll never ever leave ports until the last day of the cycle. Personally, I'd be initiating that port tomorrow (Sep 4). Porting is a "pull" transaction, ie the new provider takes responsibility for the process. 

9 out of 10 of the many ports to and from Public Mobile I've helped with worked smoothly and quite fast, but, if there is a hick-up, you want to have time for it to be sorted out well before the plan renewal. 

Point in case: A former referral ported to Freedom last week - while FM customer service was outstanding during the whole process, the port request had to be submitted 3 times until PM finally sent the port-out SMS. From the time of replying "yes" to PM line going dead / FM SIM fully functioning with the ported number it was pretty exactly an hour. Times may vary from provider to provider - there is a chance that porting within the Telus group is a matter of minutes.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Hadza2 

Main thing to remember is to leave the old PM SIM in your phone and wait for the text from PM confirming you are porting out your number within the 90 minute window. The new carrier will take care of the rest and porting will take between 45 minutes to 2 hours.

@Hadza2 wrote:

My new billing cycle on PM starts Sept 6.  I am moving to another mobile provider. 

A couple of questions:

1. How long does the process take?  I want to make sure I am moved before PM bills me for the next month.

2. Does my new provider take care of everything regarding the transition, including notifying PM?  Not sure how it all works. I've never switched carriers before.

All support/customer service is to be provided by your new carrier.  The actual process should be completed within a few hours of making the request.  You do not need to notify anyone.  Make sure that autopay is disabled in your Public Mobile self serve account.

Need Help? Let's chat.