cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching sim to Google Pixel 8a

Chad_B
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Got a new 8a and when I switch my sim card it doesn't seem to read it at all.

When I go through settings to set up the sim it asks if the sim is either Telus or Koodo(pretty sure Koodo) but public mobile is not listed

6 REPLIES 6

RavingRaven
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Chad_B 

I'm glad to see my advice worked. Generally when removing or inserting a Sim card in any phone it should be powered off first and then rebooted or with older phones and the odd new one this is accomplished by removing the battery to access the Sim card slot.

Chad_B

It is a physical sim. I did go through those steps the first time but I tried it again this morning and it seemed to work. I will accept the embarrassment in case someone else does it and so it's posted here so people know that the pixel 8a does in fact work with this carrier

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Chad_B  Normally if you already have a PM account and get a new phone you just turn off both phones, move the sim to the new phone and then restart the new phone and it should work. You don't need to do anything in settings for a physical sim.  Or is this an esim?

Chad_B

Thank you for your quick response

Yes currently have an active PM account with phone, been with PM for years now. Just bought a new phone to replace ancient one.

I did not set the phone up with the sim card, but tried to put it in after the fact when the phone was turned off(phone was already setup at this point and linked to my account google account) When I turned the phone on public mobile doesn't even show up in the top corner

I could maybe test a third phone later today but that may not be possible right now it still works after putting it back in my old phone

The sim card is 5ish years old even though the size fits idk maybe it's too old?

RavingRaven
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Chad_B 

Do you currently have a PM Sim card with an active PM account? If so did you set up your Pixel 8A with the Sim card installed? Try powering off your phone. Remove the Sim card and test in another phone to ensure its working. Reinsert and power up your phone. Check and see if Public Mobile has automatically been added in your settings/mobile network.

If only your data usage is affected and Public Mobile appears on your home screen's top corner you may need to edit your APN to PM's.

Or do you need to activate your Sim card with a plan as you are a new customer?

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

You can only use public mobile sim card on public mobile phone. If you need a SIM card you can download the public mobile app and purchase either esim if your phone is compatible or a physical SIM card to mail to your home. It takes roughly 10 business days.   You can also buy from Telus/Koodo/mobile klinck if they carry instore.

You can also purchase from Amazon fir faster shipping. 

Need Help? Let's chat.