cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching from Bell

AFERNS
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, I am not tech savvy and need to switch my provider from Bell to Public Mobile.

I do not want any disruption in service and my Bell billing for the month ends on April 11th.

How do I do it so that there is no disruption in service and I am not paying Bell and Public Mobile.

7 REPLIES 7

liuxinbing
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

other provided very good points. I just want to add few points, as I just transferred my bell this morning.

-use app.

- during activation, it asks for keep old number or new number. select keep old

- type in your provider name bell mobility, phone number, and account number. Please nothing else, not IMEI, not your name.

- immediately I got text from bell for confirmation. Reply yes.

- bell sim still works for 30 minutes. as soon as my phone shows SOS, I pop bell sim out, pop in PM sim, it works immediately. No reboot needed. No settings to be modified. Just works. Mine is iphone.  

Lorianne16
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just did the same thing. I got the free ecard online first. I made an account  and added the ecard first. Inset it as a Sim card 2 in my phone with a new number and kept using my cell I already had with koodo as Sim 1. You can find that in settings under data and manage your Sim cards. You will  see when it add the e sim card to your phone. It's really easy and fast. It asks you questions throughout. When my plan expired with koodo I switched the Sim 2 ecard with public mobile number as my main Sim 1. It shows that I have the number for koodo as my second Sim. After you receive  a temp number with public mobile. You can go into chats and request  to keep your old number. Or use the new number and let ppl you speak with know the new number. It's pretty easy and s full community to look up any questions you have. I didn't start my plan until the day my old phone plan ran out the night before actually. They will contract your old provider and request  your old number. I would do this a few days before yours runs out that way it's a smooth transaction if you want to keep your old number but you can also can also switch back n forth n use both Sim cards for both plans while it's switching. There won't be much difference  in a couple days if you switch  a few days before your plan runs out. Make sure you tell bell you don't want to continue the plan or they will just restart n charge you the same price your paying now. So have public mobile set up and balle ready to cancel a few days before. Bell is tricky like that. I also used to work in billing at a bell side call center. So I know how things work there. I can assure you that you save a heck of slot switching.  I was with koodo after bell. I am here now I have  really good service no dropped calls ans my data seems to last. I also have a slow version if I run out and bells doesn't work at all when I ran out. Thr plans here are so much cheaper ans you get alot of data for a good price n I wqs paying 150 for way less data then they offer here. The esim card is So much  better than chasing around stores trying to find a Sim and they have a point system that's pretty cool it gave me money off my next bill already. I got referred by a friend  and that gave me money off too. Can't get that with bell or anyone else for that matter. This is actually still  thru tells ans I know tells has amazing services  even in areas most cell phones drop n ive had no issues. I've had it for a month now. Take care hope this helps you a little. 

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

All wonderful and excellent tips previously provided. 

Just to add that unlike Bell, there is NO live telephone support with Public Mobile.  All changes, requests etc are managed in your online account through self serve by yourself. 

Troubleshooting, tips, help, and questions can be provided through this spectacular community. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @AFERNS 

first, check if your number can be moved into PM, check here:
https://secure.koodomobile.com/checktransfereligibilityparrot/checkSingle.do

if it is , then you can activate the account.  Get a Public Mobile physical sim card from telus/koodo store (unless you use esim).  Download the Public Mobile app and start the subscription there.  On the activation, choose you will bring in number and provide your phone number as well as Bell account number (avoide using IMEI for smoother porting experience)

Also, don't wait till last day.  Give yourself at least 7 days.  Make sure your Bell account still active.  After you activate, still leave your Bell sim card in the phone as Bell will send you a text and you need to reply Yes to approve the port

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@AFERNS 

Best to port over a few days before your Bell renewal date.

The steps must be followed in exact order if you are porting your number over to PM:

• Make sure your old SIM is active so don’t cancel serviced with them.
  • Purchase a PM SIM from Amazon ($4.99), Canadian Cell Supplies ($6.99) or pick one up from Telus/Koodo store ($10.00) or free eSIM from Public (only if your phone is eSIM compatible so check).
  • Download the PM app on your phone to activate the SIM. Use the old account number and not the IMEI to avoid issues. Complete to step 6. Note that your previous service is prepaid…you will need to pick a temporary number and contact the CS_Agent to complete the porting of your old number.
  • Keep the old SIM in your phone and wait for the text from old carrier and confirm with YES you are porting over to PM within 90 minute window once you get the text.
  • Keep the old SIM in your phone until porting process is completed because the old SIM will continue to work for about 2 hours.
  • Power off the phone once porting is completed then switch to PM SIM and power on your phone.

If all steps are followed and if there is a problem, there could be provisional/backend issue with the SIM so contact a CS_Agent to fix at:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@AFERNS  Download the Public mobile app and activate SIM card or eSIM if phone compatible . Just follow the prompts and after you make payment you will be given a chance to port number over from bell . Leaving the bell SIM in phone to reply YES to the confirmation text to port to PM . Once you have successfully ported the number over to PM it will automatically close your bell account for you . 

Need Help? Let's chat.