cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superstore Experience

Ijustneedhelp22
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This was awhile back, but I just found this area to give feedback, so here we are. 

Was not impressed by Superstore's customer service. Went in, knew exactly what I wanted, told the associate what I needed setup (sim, plan, number port, etc). 

The associates there clearly work commission, and the person I was working with spent several minutes trying to sell me plans from other providers, and questioning my ability as a consumer to make an informed choice. 

Then created issues because I use a PO box, and was trying to refuse to help me without a physical address (I'm very rural, that's not safe nor wise). 

Overall, very dissatisfied with the experience I had. Almost walked out, but with long lines due to covid, I didn't want to wait for an hour in line again. 

I would like to see a dedicated Public Mobile retailer for new customers in the future. It would make the process less frustrating. 

12 REPLIES 12

jonathanlee

Best to go to London Drugs. They will even offer to port your number over to PM as opposed to just selling you the SIM! 

Peggie99

I had a similar experience in Winnipeg at the Bison Superstore when I was first forced to buy a second-hand cel phone and cheap cel service; because of a difficult financial situation at the time I could only afford what Public Mobile was offering.

At first the salesperson lied saying they don't sell Public Mobile. Then he tried to pressure me into buying a phone with a plan. All I wanted was to buy a SIM. 

I was in tears by the end of the interaction. 

Also, he handed me a SIM card and told me I could go through the checkout with it - which was also a lie - for the purposes of humiliating me. I did so without knowing any better at the time. I left a negative Google review, but really I should have complained to the store manager. 

Later went to a different Superstore (Sargent) and had a relatively positive experience, and was able to sign up for Public Mobile. 

The moral of the story - signing up for Public Mobile or purchasing a SIM card to activate online yourself SHOULDN'T be that darn difficult. But I guess we get what we pay for?

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Ijustneedhelp22 I wouldnt even bother going to a store next time. TWO of the Walmart locations in my city will never sell me a SIM and go on saying fake rumous about PM. Getting a SIM in store is frustrating. 

And its not like they have to do much work, Just give me my SIM and leave i can activate at home.

TheGx

@Ijustneedhelp22 :Good for you not let them trick you into buying want you don't want. I like London Drugs, as others above have already said too, they never try to convince me to buy want I never asked for.

DDM69

That's great news.  The Walmart in Kitchener didn't want to sell me the SIM card without an activation.  That's after trying to bump me to another provider. 

I didn't budge, got my card and activated at home without any issues.  

I went to Walmart myself.. they gave me the SIM for free.. never tried to sell me another provider

In fact, there was issue with the activation (the webpage crashes mid-way, which seems very common).. she actually knows and prepared for the issue.  She called a Helpdesk and got that sorted out.

overall, I am very satisfied with Walmart.  In fact, my family tired that before and that's why I returned there for my own activation.

In hind sight if you were to do again. Buy the SIM card outright, take it home, sign up in comfort and do at your speed. All the personal stuff is between you and your computer....not a commissioned sales person. Make notes as you go or make screen prints for the stuff that needs to be documented for future use. 

I bought mine at London Drugs....no problem.  They offered to activate but I declined....no big deal.  

Ijustneedhelp22

I agree this was likely isolated, however I will not be dealing with Superstore going forward. Not sure why this person felt the need to create problems where they didn't exist. 

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Ijustneedhelp22  It's clearly a case of that particular Superstore, and/or that particular sales rep, because my wife & I have dealt with phone stuff at our local Superstore, on a few occasions, and generally speaking, it was all fairly painless.

Ijustneedhelp22

Perfect, I'll follow up and do so. Thank you! 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Ijustneedhelp22...

many new customers have said they're very satisfied with PM service set-up they received at London Drugs.

For in-store set-up, that's where I'd suggest new customer go.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You can leave a review under 

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/store-locator.  You need to search for the retailer then click on list toggle to see a review link

Need Help? Let's chat.