cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subscribing from abroad

Springbok83
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there - I move to Canada next month and would like to subscribe to Public Mobile.

Question - am I able to subscribe and install my E-sim ahead of arrival to Canada, or can this only be completed after arrival?

8 REPLIES 8

@joshua5678 

Unfortunately PM only take Canadian and US CC and debit card but you can get a reloadable CC from any gas station here in Canada.

IMG_0525.jpeg

joshua5678

Nice replay,

There's a problem to pay by foreign Credit Card, It seems that PM only except Canada credit or debts cards.

Fongo is good for some one who has already a address, Wifi is everythere at the airport.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Springbok83   While the $15 plan wouldn't be much to lose while you wait to get here, I think the biggest stumbling blocks would be downloading the PM app, which is required for activation and doesn't seem to be available if you're outside Canada, and also that I believe PM requires a Canadian or US credit card (someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that).

Joshua5678 suggested Fongo, which is a free voip app.  I had the same idea but I don't think you can sign up for the regular Fongo unless you have a Canadian address (because of 911 requirements).  Maybe you have a Canadian address to come to?  There is a World Fongo that I think would give you a Canadian phone number, but I'm not sure if that could switch to the Canada version and keep the same phone number after you get here.  Maybe ask Fongo customer support.  Some here recommend TextNow also but I don't know anything about that one.  You'd be limited to wifi with those though until you could set up your cell phone account with cellular data. I know you can port a Fongo phone number to a cell phone provider but Fongo charges $25Cdn. if you do that before you've had their number for 90 days.

Safe travels - from your user name I'm guessing South Africa?  If so that will be a bit of a weather shock arriving in winter here!

joshua5678

Congratulations.first.

No necessary to regist esim card befoer you came here, just bring your nice phone. As soon as you get the airport of canada, free public wifi for you to contact with your friends and call Uber.

Also I refer a virtual Canada phone number for free and unlimited Canada-wide calling, that fongo.

I believe you can, yes @Springbok83 

However, you may need to receive an SMS verification code which you may not be able to receive (depending on where you are).

And while paying for it ahead of time may not be a concern, your billing cycle begins on the payment date, not when entering Canada, so for all intents and purposes, if you're a month from arriving, you'll have burned through a complete cycle before even being able to utilize the service. (unless you're selecting a 90-day plan)

Springbok83

Thanks. Not so much worried about paying for the service ahead of time…but would be useful to begin some admin items using my Canadian number.

Do you know if it’s possible to subscribe and be assigned an E-sim and number before arriving in Canada?

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Springbok83 

Would recommend waiting until arriving to Canada to complete the activation process.

As soon as payment is made, your 30 or 90 days cycle starts, and if you won't even be here for a month you'll be paying for something you're not able to use until you arrive in Canada.

Additionally, expect some possible enticing plan offerings over the next several weeks given upcoming Black Friday specials and Holiday promotions to entice new customers.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Springbok83 

Probably not until you arrive to Canada and it depends if your phone can download the PM app and to get the 2FA code activate your account.

It has been reported that some global phones can’t download the PM app.

Need Help? Let's chat.