cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strangers Keep Calling Me

johnny101d
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I keep receiving phone calls from strangers telling me I called them, when I never did. I'm not sure if someone else is using my number somehow, and am not sure how to resolve this

10 REPLIES 10

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@johnny101d wrote:

I keep receiving phone calls from strangers telling me I called them, when I never did. I'm not sure if someone else is using my number somehow, and am not sure how to resolve this

I don’t know if this works on all phones. 

On my iPhone and wife’s. 

1. We have the best possible contacts list of friends, family, businesses and unliked individuals 

2. We turn on DND to only accept calls from our contacts list. 

3. If you not have your number in your contacts.....no call notification....just in case your number calls you...has happened to us once. 

4. Also the strangers calls will not be answered. 

a. A voicemail can be left though

b. Spoofed numbers only last for a week or so

c. If an unliked individual does call....leave in contacts.......and block caller ID

d. Make sure your voicemail says to leave name and number just in case it should be in your contacts list. 

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

Luckily, in October, spoofing a number is becoming a criminal offense, so anyone caught doing this after then is looking at a 3 year prison term if found guilty.

We’re did you read that? I can spoof any Canadian or USA number I want on my voip Account. 

I spoof my own numbers for caller ID on my voip. Depending where I am and where I want a call back too, I use the appropriate sub account. Only thing I have heard is that all numbers must meet the 604-555-1234 format otherwise the call won’t go through. No more of those V numbers etc. . 

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

Luckily, in October, spoofing a number is becoming a criminal offense, so anyone caught doing this after then is looking at a 3 year prison term if found guilty.

Really? Curious if you can share some links, interested to read up on this. They might have a hard time enforcing it as there's no way to trace the origin of a spoofed caller ID without more of the SHAKEN/STIR stuff being implemented which is only in it's infancy right now, even in the USA which is farther along than Canada.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@softech 

Did you read the article?

@johnny101d 

Registering your number on the do not call list often has the opposite affect of its intention. The choice is yours to make. Here are the other options :

• File a complaint about a telemarketing call

Note: If you suspect fraud, you can report it to your local police or the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre (1-888-495-8501), a national service jointly operated by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, the Ontario Provincial Police and the Competition Bureau.

@WoozyPolarBear problem is those professional spoofers are not calling from Canada 😞

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@johnny101d Caller ID Spoofing.   CRTC talked about it but nothing effective came up

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/telemarketing/identit.htm

It is not your fault and nothing you can do to stop it.  Think about this as letter mail, someone used your address as return address.  No harm to you and you can't do anything 

emilblac07
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

That's not so bad, yes it is annoying, but once this was happening to me and I got a random call from someone who thought I was a vet able to get rid of their deceased cat...

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Yup. Happens. Scammers are spoofing your number. Not much you or the recipients can do.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Thats a common issue these days...bad guys are spoofing your number to conduct their business. Hopefully it won't last long.

Alternative is you can select a new PM number for free every 30 days.

Need Help? Let's chat.