cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange high data usage

Vanja65
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

After reviewing my data usage I noticed 2 days in a row data usage of 1.3 and 1.4 gb after m. Both days I was at home and on WiFi. Can that be investigated to see what was going on or to dispute?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

@dr-et please note one thing, the timestamp for the data usage does not mean the data were used at that moment.  

PM only update the data around twice a day.  So, the usage for any entries is a total data usage between that time and the time of the previous entry

yeah that's weird, idk. my data consumption is pretty accurate, but I also never leave mobile data running when I'm using wifi. idk there's a lot of variables in play. does your device have auto-sync enabled? is it allowed to update apps through mobile data? many people don't suspect this. but usually when unknown data is being used that's because the device has been hacked. maybe a compromised app that one has installed in their device. text messages from unknown numbers with a link. after clicking the link a virus is installed.

dr-et
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

it happens I have seen it twice  large amounts of date over a gb gone. Multiple nights ,if you check  happens around the same time. Often at night. never got an explanation from anyone. my kids were crying as they had to do without data.

@Vanja65   are you using Incognito mode to check your My Account?  

Also, are you using Android?  If so, you can get trace back your usage on Mobile Data Usage page on your phone

Vanja65
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for reply!

I can see that on the phone data usage and on portal.

Data is always on. I have never seen something like this, at certain tine to use 1.4gb of data!!! and 2 days in a row after midnight!

WiFi might cut at any moment and that happens from time to time, but 1.4 gb of data doesn't make any sence, I don't use the phone for any streaming! For years I never come cloze to max of my plan and now for 2 days!

Very strange!!!

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Where do you see that high usage info? On your account or through some app on your phone?

Do you leave DATA On all the time? Do you turn phone off during night?

To get correct account status: Try using different browser. Try Incognito mode. Clear browser’s cache. Try forced refresh.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Vanja65 , the online portal often acts strangely and caches old information.  To make sure you are viewing the latest data, use incognito mode or clear browser cache prior to accessing the self serve portal.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any Chance your WiFi cut out during that time?  Or some sort of 'boost' got activated to use cell data along with your WiFi?

Need Help? Let's chat.