cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stolen Phone, Cannot Sign in to my Public Mobile Account

Lostphone89
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, 

I'm a Public Mobile customer with an active account and number.

Unfortunately, my phone was stolen. 

I'm trying to activate a new SIM card, but I can't log into my own account, because it's asking me to verify the code that's been sent to my stolen phone. 

There doesn't seem to be another way for me to log in, change my SIM card, and get my number working again.

Customer Service Agents, please contact me ASAP!

SUMMARY:

1. Phone is stolen, cannot use 2-factor code to log-in to my account

2. Bought a new SIM card, but cannot activate it without logging in.

3. Need to speak with a live agent over email

4. Created a new account to write this.

6 REPLIES 6

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Just a suggestion if customer service sees this... Instead of automatic 2fa sending a text to a stolen phone, why not have the choice upon 2fa entry screen of picking to send the text, or "I don't have access to my phone" or something? Cuz what if say they get into your phone, and your browser or app saved your username and password, and all the thief needs to get all the way in and cause havoc is that 2fa code which you're now supplying the thief with upon the real user trying to log in several times before they can finally reach that email instead button...

Maybe have it so you can also pick by email initially or even a different phone number if you don't live alone, but then maybe you also have to input your last name or a recovery pin or something also to prove that the temporary different info is in fact you, giving the thief no additional tools right off the bat

just brainstorming

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Lostphone89  Tap resend code a few times . You should then get option to send code to email instead . Once logged into your account on profile tab . SIM card swap the number 

SIM  SWAPPING  profile tabs

Handy1_0-1690754595974.png

Note only do this on lap top or computer/ not mobile device

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Instead of receiving code by SMS click on resend code few times and you will get an option to receive code by email.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Lostphone89 

Login into your account on a computer then tap Resend Code. You will then get an option to send the code by email, text or call.

Here are more information on troubleshooting from a CS_Agent:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Troubleshooting-Login-Issues-OTP-2FA-Ever... 

If you still can’t access your account, contact a CS_Agent by private message them on the envelope icon on a computer or tap on your avatar>Messages>pen/paper icon on your phone.

Also, login to phone account and click on Find My to see where your phone is located.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Lostphone89 

There is no Live support at public mobile.

If you want to receive The Code by email, just tap resend code a few times, or better yet, enter a made-up code three incorrect times and you'll be given an option to have the code sent to the registered email address on file.

adding:  once you regain access to self-serve through the email verification option, go under your profile and you can change the associated SIM card there. Do not activate the new SIM card through the Activation Portal or you will create a whole new account - which is not what you want to do.

Need Help? Let's chat.