cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam calls

DanAR
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

This a.m., I received a series of 6-7 spam calls, all with similar telus/moble number prefixes. I dont suppose there is much that can be done but they use up minutes on my $15 plan when they leave empty messages. No question just a complaint, unless, perhaps there is a cellphone god that will be nice enough toprotect me?

7 REPLIES 7

joey831
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just want to share that I just discovered that reporting SPAM calls on my Samsung phone actually forward the reporting to the voicemail box number and has costed me minutes. With my Samsung phone, I am given the options of blocking and reporting the SPAM calls. Now I only block the calls since I found out that reporting actually forward me to my voicemail number and treated as outgoing calls.

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

To save outgoing minutes when calling voicemail or etc use free app like Fongo to call voicemail or call out, it will use data but not much - you can also save data by only using Fongo when on WiFi.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@DanAR wrote:

This a.m., I received a series of 6-7 spam calls, all with similar telus/moble number prefixes. I dont suppose there is much that can be done but they use up minutes on my $15 plan when they leave empty messages. No question just a complaint, unless, perhaps there is a cellphone god that will be nice enough toprotect me?

This is certainly frustrating, @DanAR 

I expect you're using minutes when you call INTO your voicemail from your mobile device to check on messages displayed as being in voicemail.

Here's a recommendation:   If you have access to a landline, or another service with outgoing calling, you can check your voicemail number by calling YOUR own cell number, then as soon as your hear your greeting (you can get there quicker by swiping to ignore the call on your cellphone), press the asterisks * key, then enter your PIN, then you can listen to the voicemail messages without consuming your limited minutes.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DanAR : Incoming calls and callers dropping to voicemail do not consume your minutes. You can block numbers on your phone. But with spoofing you might unknowingly block a legitimate one.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@DanAR...

how about this...turn OFF your voicemail. Don't answer any calls that you don't recognize the callers number. After a while they'll quit calling and you can turn ON voicemail again.

Alternative is get the $5 / 500 mnutes of Canada wide calling.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@DanAR , there is not much anyone can do about spam calls.  Changing the phone number does not help.  These calls are random and can happen to any number.  The best you can is to utilize the spam filter function on the phone app.  

Need Help? Let's chat.